Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to understand the process "coupled with vertical metric" like:rho_zz(k,iCell) = rho_zz(k,iCell) / zz(k,iCell) in init_module.

yongxuanzhao

HI everyone,I am always confused about variable zz and some related process.I want to know How to understand the process "coupled with vertical metric" like:rho_zz(k,iCell) = rho_zz(k,iCell) / zz(k,iCell) in init_module.can't we just use rho in the model?
Sorry to disturb.

Please take a look at the paper below, which describes coupled prognostic variables in the height-based terrain-following vertical coordinate.

W. C. Skamarock, Hing Ong and J. B. Klemp, 2021: A Fully Compressible Nonhydrostatic Deep-Atmosphere-Equations Solver for MPAS. Monthly Weather Review, 149 (2): 571-583, doi:10.1175/MWR-D-20-0286.1

Hope this can help you understand why the variables are coupled with vertical metric.

Please take a look at the paper below, which describes coupled prognostic variables in the height-based terrain-following vertical coordinate.

W. C. Skamarock, Hing Ong and J. B. Klemp, 2021: A Fully Compressible Nonhydrostatic Deep-Atmosphere-Equations Solver for MPAS. Monthly Weather Review, 149 (2): 571-583, doi:10.1175/MWR-D-20-0286.1

Hope this can help you understand why the variables are coupled with vertical metric.
Thanks chen,that means a lot ,I will check that paper