Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to use a new global model output as WPS initialization?

wpswb

Hello,
I have a new global model outputs and I would like to use it as a WPS model initialization.
I understand this would affect the UNGRIB part.
Since the output is not GFS format, nor ECMWF format. So I don't have a Variable Table to use.
Do you have any experience on how to deal with this?
I have two ideas
(1) Interpolate the data to GFS gridpoint and levels. But I don't know how to convert it to GFS grib2 format. I don't know if UPP could help on this. And is UPP can convert the data format exactly the same as GFS grib2? If there is anything wrong, the Variable Table for GFS won't work. This will be very hard to track errors.
(2) Is it possible to find the variables from netcdf directly, and then provide it to ungrib? Or is there anyway that we don't need to use ungrib to generate the data for the next step?
Maybe there are other better ways, I hope anyone could help me solve it!
Thank you!

Hello,
I have a new global model outputs and I would like to use it as a WPS model initialization.
I understand this would affect the UNGRIB part.
Since the output is not GFS format, nor ECMWF format. So I don't have a Variable Table to use.
Do you have any experience on how to deal with this?
I have two ideas
(1) Interpolate the data to GFS gridpoint and levels. But I don't know how to convert it to GFS grib2 format. I don't know if UPP could help on this. And is UPP can convert the data format exactly the same as GFS grib2? If there is anything wrong, the Variable Table for GFS won't work. This will be very hard to track errors.
(2) Is it possible to find the variables from netcdf directly, and then provide it to ungrib? Or is there anyway that we don't need to use ungrib to generate the data for the next step?
Maybe there are other better ways, I hope anyone could help me solve it!
Thank you!
What data are you using?

@wpswb
There is a lot of information in the WRF Users' Guide that pertains to converting data, as well as how to manage your own Vtable. You can also find several other posts in this forum with suggested scripts for converting data. You can find those through the search tool.