Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

If I have triple nesting, how can I know whether a variable and its value is from d01,d02 or d03?

mirabelle

Dear WRF:
If I have triple nesting, how can I know whether a variable and its value is from d01,d02 or d03?
How can I tell which region the subroutine is running in?

Dear WRF:
Good morning,

The output file are written in the standard format of wrfout_d(domain number). So if you have triple nesting you will get wrfout_d01, wrfout_d02, wrfout_d03.

A tutorial on nesting and their output is in this YouTube video from NCAR.

Good morning,

The output file are written in the standard format of wrfout_d(domain number). So if you have triple nesting you will get wrfout_d01, wrfout_d02, wrfout_d03.

A tutorial on nesting and their output is in this YouTube video from NCAR.

Hi:
I added a subroutine in the dyn_em/solve. F which will be used once in each time step. This program is running well when I only have domain d01.
But when I ran the nesting domain, there is something wrong says "forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred".
So I wish my program can only be used in domain d01.
Do you know how to check the domain id in dyn_em/solve.F?

Hi:
I added a subroutine in the dyn_em/solve. F which will be used once in each time step. This program is running well when I only have domain d01.
But when I ran the nesting domain, there is something wrong says "forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred".
So I wish my program can only be used in domain d01.
Do you know how to check the domain id in dyn_em/solve.F?
Can you attach your namelist files for wps and wrf?

Can you attach your namelist files for wps and wrf?
Hi,
This is my namelist.wps and namelist.input.
The WRF model I am using is V3.7.1 with vortex following

Attachments

• namelist.input
    9.1 KB · Views: 4
  • namelist.wps
    918 bytes · Views: 2
  • namelist.input
    9.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
This is my namelist.wps and namelist.input.
The WRF model I am using is V3.7.1 with vortex following
dx = 27000,9000,3000,
dy = 27000,9000,3000,
time_step = 60,

Pretty sure your time step is to large.

Time_step should be 6* (smallest dx) so your model is failing because it can't step forward at the right amount. If you can attach your rsl error files I can confirm this. Alternatively, change time_step to 15 (even though 6*3km is 18 that doesn't go evenly into 60s)

I could also read the users guide for WRF about namelist settings.

Looks like your WPS and WRF don't match for domains.
My namelist running well when I don't use my subroutine.
And we don't need input_d02 and input_d03 when we use "input_from_file = .true.,.false.,.false.,".
Here is my rsl error file when I used my subroutine

Attachments

• rsl.error.0000
    125.1 KB · Views: 3
My namelist running well when I don't use my subroutine.
And we don't need input_d02 and input_d03 when we use "input_from_file = .true.,.false.,.false.,".
Here is my rsl error file when I used my subroutine
Obviously, the error occured on nesting domain. That why I wish my program can only be used in domain d01

Just a quick answer to your question how to know which domain the model is running on:

in solve_em.F, grid%id tells the current model domain.

Dear WRF:
are you using intel compilers by chance?