Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Inconsistency between WRFV3 and WRFV4 (set issue?)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

GlennDoodle

This is a follow-up to my long possibly confusing post. My error came from two items that I hadn't considered. First the default namelist.input file in version 3 and version 4 had different scm_vegfra settings.

V3
scm_vegfra = .5

V4
scm_vegfra = 50.

Reading the documentation for both version this seemed like they were both equal because v3 said it was using a fraction and v4 said it was using a percentage. After comparing the module_sf_noahdrv.F files in both versions I realized the v3 document was wrong and both versions are using percentage. So I changed the setting so they match and then found out that the scm namelist settings currently require the code to be recompiled (using a clean -a first). Ugh! I now have a clean baseline but it would be nice if the scm namelist setting could be used without forcing a full recompile.

Glenn,
Thanks for the detailed explanation of the problem, I appreciate it!
You mentioned that once the namelist option scm_vegfra = 50 is changed, you need to recompile em_scm to make it work correctly, is this right?
I look at the codes, and I think that you only need to rerun ideal.exe. There is no reason that the code must be recompiled only because a namelist option is changed. Please let me know if I misunderstand something here.

Ming Chen,

Thank you for the reply. I checked what you said and you are correct, I had not run ideal.exe after resetting my scm_vegfra :oops: . I incorrectly attributed the option being reset when I recompiled but of course the recompilation lead to me rerunning ideal.exe afterwards because I ran a ./clean -a before recompiling when I was trying to figure out this issue. So we can chalk this up to operator error. I guess it would be nice if WRF had a namelist check that would let you know if there was an inconsistency between the wrfinput_d01 file and the namelist.input file and/or something in the documentation that let's you know if a namelist option requires a rerunning of ideal since many options do not. Again that would be a nice to have to help some of the novice or rusty users (like me) from committing a silly user error.

Thank you again!
Glenn

Glenn,
Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate your suggestions. Please take a look at the code share/module_check_a_mundo.F, which covers lots of issues related o incorrect settings. However, it surely doesn't cover everything.