Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Initialize MPAS with ERA5 data

MPAS needs SOILHGT as input for its vertical interpolation of meteorological elements. Wrong SOILHGT definitely will lead to wrong MPAS initial condition.
I haven't looked at its impact on WRF. There might be some hidden issues there, too.

I have made and evaluated many WRF runs with this ERA5 initialization, and I see no problems with them. Variable HGT_M is correct in the met_em files.

Hi everyone,
Was anyone able or successful in using ERA5 to force or initialize MPAS?
I wish to use ERA5 datasets to force MPAS simulation, first using a ~60km uniform grid. I have read and followed through the discussions on this thread and was able to generate 'accepted' (no complaints or errors of missing variable(s)) intermediate files for MPAS initialization. However, the MPAS init_atmosphere_model stops with the error below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Beginning MPAS-init_atmosphere Error Log File for task 0 of 1
Opened at 2023/12/12 16:01:17
----------------------------------------------------------------------

CRITICAL ERROR: Error in interpolation of st_fg to MPAS grid: num_st = 283880
Logging complete. Closing file at 2023/12/12 16:01:17

At this point, I do not know how to proceed or overcome this error. I would be grateful if someone could help and come to my rescue.
I have attached a copy of the namelist, Vtable used, and the dump of a sample PRES and SST intermediate files generated by the ungrib from the ERA5 datasets.

Thanks
Makinde

Attachments

• pres_intermediate.txt
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
  • sst_intermediate.txt
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
  • namelist.init_atmosphere.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Vtable.ECMWF.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 2
Makinde,
I have the same issue as you. Was there any solution to this issue? If so, could you please share it with me?
Thanks,
Raghu

Dear all,

I think I have successfully managed to put together a reasonable MPAS-A initial condition file from ERA5 (at least one that does not have the problems identified by @wangevine). I'm just aggregating this information, because I had to figure out a working procedure from bits and pieces of information scattered around the Web, including these forums. I will assume familiarity with doing the analogous procedure with GFS. My version of MPAS-A is a slightly modified version of 8.0.1 that barely modifies the source code of init_atmosphere_model.

My procedure was this:

1. I downloaded ERA5 pressure level and surface field information separately from the new Copernicus Climate Beta repository using Amirhossein Nikfal's Python-based download codes under era5 in this package here: GitHub - anikfal/atmospheric_science: Codes and solutions for atmospheric data and modeling
[For simplicity, I edited them to download a single time slice. Note that you need to be set up properly with CDS API and accept the license for the data on the web site to access the data with the API. You also may need to do a few things to get around any firewalls you might have.] A. Nikfal has a helpful WRF-specific video here, but not all of the information is current or relevant to MPAS-A:

2. You need to concatenate the pressure level and surface field GRIB files, e.g.,

Bash:
cat level.grib single.grib > merge.grib

3. You then need to use ungrib.exe within WPS to ungrib the merged file:

a.
Code:
./link_grib.csh <location of merge.grib>
b. Change namelist.wps to the correct start and end dates; helpful but not necessary to change prefix under &ungrib to 'ERA5'
c. Link to the correct Vtable:
Bash:
ln -sf ungrib/Variable_Tables/Vtable.ERA-interim.pl Vtable
d. Run ungrib.exe
e. You get a file called ERA5:<timestamp>

4. You then can use init_atmosphere_model as you would for GFS, just changing the namelist.atmosphere setting config_met_prefix to a new file prefix if you used one.

I downloaded 10-25-2023, 0Z
Here is the surface_pressure field I get out of running convert_mpas.

1723210464671.png

Here is the qv field for level 10:
1723210615646.png