Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Installing dependent libraries

Vaishnavi_198

hello!

I am a first time WRF user and i have been trying to install prerequisite(zlib,hdf5,netcdf-c,netcdffortran,jasper and libpng) libraries on HPC. The compilers that are available on HPC are intel compilers.

i) On a guide to install WRF on HPC (Installing WRF from scratch in an HPC using Intel Compilers - Pratiman Homepage), i noticed that it has set the following

export CC=icc
export CXX='icpc -E'
export CPP='icpc -E'
export FC=ifort
export F77=ifort
export F90=ifort

and the WRF tutorial page (Compiling WRF) sets them as

export CC gcc
export CXX g++
export FC gfortran
export FCFLAGS -m64
export F77 gfortran
I am aware of what compilers are but i do not have enough knowledge to be able to tell which compilers/compiler version are to be used. Please suggest materials to learn about WRF compiler version compatibility.

ii) I was installing hdf5 for netcdf4-c but while configuring hdf5 I do not know if I should use "--enable-fortran' and "--enable-hl" while configuring hdf5. I could not find any mention on enabling hdf5 Fortran in any of the WRF tutorial guides. So I do not know what to do.

iii) During an unsuccessful installation of WRF I encountered the error "netcdf-c not found". Is there something like "--with-netcdf" that i need to do while configuring? I saw this solution(Building WRF with NetCDF-c and NetCDF-fortran Libraries). When i export "NETCDF=path-to-your-netcdf/NetCDF", how will WRF find this? because we are not mentioning this "NETCDF" env variable anywhere during configuration. Is "NETCDF" an env variable like "LDFLAGS"? is that why it will be able to recognise it?

It would be great if you could help me with these.

Hi,
Unfortunately our group does not have the resources to help guide you through the process of installing external (to WRF) libraries, but I can point you to some guidance material. First, your question regarding the settings above depend on whether you are installing WRF with a GNU (gfortran) compiler or an Intel (ifort) compiler. The first set is specific to ifort, while the second is specific to GNU. Take a look at these FAQ's that may help to guide you. Note that while these specific commands may work for some, they may not work for everyone. Any issues you run in to with the external libraries (i.e., not WRF or WPS) will need to be directed toward a systems administrator at your institution to help you with your specific environment.

Full WRF and WPS Installation Example (Intel)
Full WRF and WPS Installation Example (GNU)

Hi,
Unfortunately our group does not have the resources to help guide you through the process of installing external (to WRF) libraries, but I can point you to some guidance material. First, your question regarding the settings above depend on whether you are installing WRF with a GNU (gfortran) compiler or an Intel (ifort) compiler. The first set is specific to ifort, while the second is specific to GNU. Take a look at these FAQ's that may help to guide you. Note that while these specific commands may work for some, they may not work for everyone. Any issues you run in to with the external libraries (i.e., not WRF or WPS) will need to be directed toward a systems administrator at your institution to help you with your specific environment.

Full WRF and WPS Installation Example (Intel)
Full WRF and WPS Installation Example (GNU)
@kwerner the intel compiler title should say classic intel compilers, because intel compilers that you download directly from intel now defaults to the llvm unless you pay for the classic ones.