Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Instruction needed to install WRF v4.3.3 on Mac with M1-Max chip and version 13.0.1 Ventura

Update: I just recompiled WRF after creating the symlinks suggested by @Whatheway , and now the WPS compilation works like a charm. Will run some real examples to confirm that everything is working as it should. Thanks a lot, everyone.
Glad to hear it worked for you.

Here are the few addition
  • After setting up the WPS and WRF , I tried to run WPS, I got stuck on running the geogrid.exe, it always failed. I check my namelist.wps it seems fine. Then I noticed the error which is not related to namelist.wps it is something related to netcdf because it failed to initiate. I then realise that libraries are installed using apple clang not Homebrew gcc. Although it is mentioned in WRF online tutorial that "one should build libraries using same compiler as he is going to use for WRF and WPS". So, I then reinstall all libraries using Homebrew gcc and build & compile WPS and WRF.
  • Then I struggle with jasper during executing ungrib.exe. WRF tutorial suggested jasper version 1.9 whereas for Mac minimum version was 2.1. I tried with 2.1 and 3.0.6 but it was not helpful (not sure what's the exact problem). So I did a research to install jasper 1.9 , I found a solution in which it suggest to replace "config.guess & config.sub" file from jasper library with automake of Homebrew (config.guess & config.sub).
  • Doing above steps I am able to run WPS (georgid.exe. ungrib.exe and metgrib.exe) and WRF (real.exe and WRF .exe).
    I will now learn how to analyse this output.

View attachment 7750
Could you please give some suggestions about the JasPer installation? My case is: all the libraries except 'jasper' was installed manually, when I 'compile the wps' there is no .exe file generated.

Could you please give some suggestions about the JasPer installation? My case is: all the libraries except 'jasper' was installed manually, when I 'compile the wps' there is no .exe file generated.
hello
I am not sure if I had the same issue like you are facing but I can suggest what I done when face jasper related issue.
Please install the Jasper library as recommended on the WRF forum, specifically version 1.9. In order to do this, you will need to copy the "config.guess" and "config.sub" files from the "automake" folder in Homebrew, and paste them into the "aac" folder within the Jasper 1.9 directory where these files are located. You can download Jasper 1.9 from the following link: https://ece.engr.uvic.ca/~frodo/jasper/#download.

This link was helpful in resolving the Jasper library issue: How to resolve configure guessing build type failure?.

please note that I am using Mac with M1-Max and this solution is tested on same machine.

hello
I am not sure if I had the same issue like you are facing but I can suggest what I done when face jasper related issue.
Please install the Jasper library as recommended on the WRF forum, specifically version 1.9. In order to do this, you will need to copy the "config.guess" and "config.sub" files from the "automake" folder in Homebrew, and paste them into the "aac" folder within the Jasper 1.9 directory where these files are located. You can download Jasper 1.9 from the following link: https://ece.engr.uvic.ca/~frodo/jasper/#download.

This link was helpful in resolving the Jasper library issue: How to resolve configure guessing build type failure?.

please note that I am using Mac with M1-Max and this solution is tested on same machine.
Hi,
Thanks for your advice!
I have solved the problem by following these steps (btw I am using Mac with M2 chip).
When I compiled the WPS there is no ungrib.exe file. For my case, it's because the wrong setting about the 'JASPERINC' & 'JASPERLIB'.

hello

Hello,
Another question is: how do you run the compiled exe file on mac? Did you use a virtual machine or something else?

Thanks!

Update: I just recompiled WRF after creating the symlinks suggested by @Whatheway , and now the WPS compilation works like a charm. Will run some real examples to confirm that everything is working as it should. Thanks a lot, everyone.
Great to hear

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could upload a video of the entire process. For some reason, I am stuck at the NetCDF stage (incompatible version). I have tried using other versions, but unfortunately, I have not seen any improvement in the results.
Best regards