Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Issue with QRAINXY Variable in wrfout Files

spark1

Hello WRF Community,

I am currently working on a WRF simulation, and I've encountered an issue when visualizing the QRAINXY variable using ncview. I would appreciate your insights and suggestions to better understand and resolve this problem.

Issue Description: When using ncview to view the QRAINXY variable in my WRF output files (specifically, the wrfout files), I receive the following messages:

1. min and max both 0 for variable QRAINXY
  2. min and max both 0 for variable QRAINXY (checked all data) setting range to (-1,1)
The messages seem to indicate that the QRAINXY variable has a minimum and maximum value of 0, and as a result, ncview sets a default range of (-1, 1) for visualization.

What could be the underlying cause of the QRAINXY variable having a minimum and maximum value of 0 in my WRF output files?
could it be indicative of an issue in my simulation setup?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions on how to interpret these messages and whether any further investigation is needed. If you have encountered a similar situation or have insights into the QRAINXY variable or any other variables in WRF, your input would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and expertise.

Hi,
First, apologies for the delay in response and thank you for your patience. Could it be possible that there is, indeed, no rainfall on the ground at the time? You can use ncview to modify the range, but if all values of QRAINXY are actually 0, that won't make any difference.