Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Landmask offset in V4.0 compared to V3.8

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

RobWaters

Any help on the following topic would be greatly appreciated.

Running two "identical" model (differ with some defaults), one using v3.8 and one using v4.0.

Issue I am running into is that the default land mask in v4.0 appears offset compared to the identical model from v3.8. As far as i can tell both are using using the default geog resolution of 30s however the new v4.0 uses an improved 20-class MODIS product.

The attached scatter plot (scatterV38.png) shows the center points of each grid cell for Mauritius for v3.8. Land grid cells are white/not visible and water grid cells are blue.

Compare this to the ScatterV40.png and it seems that the new data is offset.

Thanks in advance and if there is any more helpful info. I can give let me know.

Attachments

• ScatterV40.png
    ScatterV40.png
    674.9 KB · Views: 952
  • ScatterV38.png
    ScatterV38.png
    676.4 KB · Views: 952
Rob,
You may have gotten the message of Michael that there does appear to have some differences between Modis-21 and Modis-20 dataset. I am not sure yet what caused this problem. As an alternative, would you please try to use modis-15s data at present?

For the benefit of others who happen upon this thread, there's been an issue opened up on the WPS repository with more discussion: https://github.com/wrf-model/WPS/issues/98 .

using the MODIS 15s data solves the issue, thank you very much for the advice.

Attachments

• Modis15s.png
    Modis15s.png
    719 KB · Views: 941