Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

LES case study

Sentia.Oger

I am new to WRF, and especially to run idealised LES. I tested the tutorials for real cases, and got through it without any problem. I am now trying to run a LES simulation. I used the Matthew single-domain test case. For that, I
-> created symbolic links of the met_* files in test/em_les
-> edited the namelist.input accordingly (see the .txt attached file°

I did not change input_sounding
Then I made ideal.exe which was successful. But wrf.exe did not work.

Does anyone have an idea of the problem?

Would somebody know where I could find a case study to reproduce for LES (tutorial)?

Thanks,
Sentia

Attachments

• namelist.input_LES.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
The Matthew case is for real-data simulation, and it CANNOT be used for LES simulation.
Currently WRF only provides ideal LES simulation. Real-data LES simulation is a pretty complicated issue that requires lots of work to correctly specify resolution, physics and dynamics option, lateral forcing, etc. Please refer to the literature for more information.

Last edited:
Hi,
The Matthew case is for real-data simulation, and it CANNOT be used for LES simulation.
Currently WRF only provides ideal LES simulation. Real-data LES simulation is a pretty complicated issue that requires lots of work to correctly spec resolution, physics and dynamics option, lateral forcing, etc. Please refer to the literature for more information.
Thank you for your response Ming Chen. Indeed, I might not have well understood ideal simulations.
Best,
Sentia