Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Lightning option

janac4

Hello,
I am familiar with WRF model but now I want to use lightning_option to predict the lightning density or occurrence in my domain. However, I have never used it and don't know where to start. I have run my simulation with lightning_option, do_radar_ref and one of the mp_physics accepted in these cases. The model runs without problem but I'm not sure I know how to interpret the results.
- I assume the most interesting variable is CG_FLASHCOUNT, but what does if it is a non-integer value? Which are the units? I read it is related to flashrate_factor and lightning_dt, but I didn't define them so I assume they are default values. However lightning_dt is related to model time-step and it is adaptive, so maybe it is better if I define it to avoid problems.
- All IC_FLASHCOUNT data is 0, is that normal?
- How does lightning_dt affect on the number of lightning detected? More frequent calls to the lightning module result in greater lightning counts?
Any suggestion on which lightning_option to use? I attach my namelist.input file in case it can be helpful. Only the first column is valid (one domain).

Attachments

• namelist.input
    6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi,
These lightning schemes were given to us by some outside collaborators, so I don't know much about them; however, if you look at the README.namelist file (in test/em_real, or in run/) and search for "lightning_option," there is quite a bit of information there. Additionally, these literature references may be helpful, regarding lightning options 1 and 2.

Price, C., and D. Rind (1992), A Simple Lightning Parameterization for Calculating
Global Lightning Distributions, J. Geophys. Res., 97(D9), 9919-9933, doi:10.1029/92JD00719.

Wong, J., M. Barth, and D. Noone, 2013: Evaluating a lightning parameterization based on cloud-top height for mesoscale numerical model simulations, Geosci. Model Dev., 6, 429–443, GMD - Evaluating a lightning parameterization based on cloud-top height for mesoscale numerical model simulations.

You may also find useful information in the actual code for the schemes:
module_lightning_driver.F
module_ltng_crmpr92.F

Last edited:
Hi,
These lightning schemes were given to us by some outside collaborators, so I don't know much about them; however, if you look at the README.namelist file (in test/em_real, or in run/) and search for "lightning_option," there is quite a bit of information there. Additionally, these literature references may be helpful, regarding lightning options 1 and 2.

Price, C., and D. Rind (1992), A Simple Lightning Parameterization for Calculating
Global Lightning Distributions, J. Geophys. Res., 97(D9), 9919-9933, doi:10.1029/92JD00719.

Wong, J., M. Barth, and D. Noone, 2013: Evaluating a lightning parameterization based on cloud-top height for mesoscale numerical model simulations, Geosci. Model Dev., 6, 429–443, GMD - Evaluating a lightning parameterization based on cloud-top height for mesoscale numerical model simulations.

You may also find useful information in the actual code for the schemes:
module_lightning_driver.F
module_ltng_crmpr92.F
Thank you so much, I will look at them.