Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Lower SWDNB values in WRF4.3 compared to WRF4.2

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

vaakos

Hi all,

I noticed that I get considerably lower SWDNB (and thus T2) values with WRF4.3 than with WRF4.2, keeping all other settings and ICBC data identical.

See a difference map for SWDNB below:
vdiff.png

This seems to be rather systematic than just some random noisy difference pattern that would be expected from a version change. Do you have any insight into the physical processes at play here?

Thank you and best regards,
Akos

Attachments

• namelist.input
    8 KB · Views: 25
Hi Akos,
Would you please turn off adaptive time step (use_adaptive_time_step = .false.) and set swint_opt=0, then try again?
Remember to run the case with same number of processors.
Please keep me updated about the results. Thanks.

Ming,

thank you for your quick response. I ran the experiment with use_adaptive_time_step = .false. and swint_opt=0 as you suggested.
However, I still see that SWDNB is considerably higher with the previous model version (WRF4.2).
See the SWDNB difference (WRF4.2 minus WRF4.3) below (WRF4.3 with swint_opt=1 left, WRF4.3 with swint_opt=0 right):

diff_swint.png

So swint_opt doesn't seem to play a big role here.

Hi,
I run a test case using WRFv4.2 and WRFv4.3. Attached is the difference in SWDNB between the two versions.
I did see relatively large SWDNB over certain areas, which is attributed to the update of icloud=3 and Thompson microphysics in WRFv4.3.
Basically, the biggest microphsycis change is in how cloud ice converts to snow at a threshold size of 300 microns (up from 200
microns) and for rimed snow to convert to graupel (changed from 250 to 350 microns). A change to allowed
max size of ice means that the fall velocity constant for ice was changed to keep it aligned with snow at the
same cut-over size (of 300 microns). In addition, the cloud fraction scheme (icloud=3) can further improve
the clouds and radiation together with Thompson-MP due to the overall under-prediction of clouds. The
icloud3 option was adjusted so that cloud amounts of low, middle, high, and total cloud coverage, longwave
radiation outgoing at top-of-atmosphere, and shortwave radiation reaching the ground are more consistent with observations.

Attachments

• SWDNB.ps
    798.1 KB · Views: 17