Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Merge multiple wrfoutput files as 1 per domain

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

greenal

Hi All,

I am about to do a double nested 4 day wrf simulation on the cheyenne system. Due to the 12 hr wall time limit, I will have to create restart files and have multiple wrfoutput files for my domains. I was wondering, if there is a way/ an application to merge all wrfoutput files as one for each domain? This way, I can only have one wrfoutput file for each of my domains for plotting.

My input data is the gfs reanalysis grb 2 data.
Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Hi,
Yes, you should be able to use the NCO tools (http://nco.sourceforge.net/) and commands to concatenate the files after they have been written out. For instance, this command should work to combine 2 files:

ncrcat file1.nc file2.nc combined.nc

Then the 'combined.nc' file would contain data from the times in both 'file1' and 'file2'. You could do this with all of the files you need in a single file.

Kelly