Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Modify idealised tropical cyclone cases

yli.ouc

Dear all,

I'm trying to run some idealised tropical cyclone cases within the coupled COAWST model, which only supports 'real' cases. I can try the em_tropical_cyclone case and modify the initial conditions via changing dyn_em/module_initialize_tropical_cyclone.F, but I have no idea how to do so for a 'real' case. I guess I need some 'idealised' GFS files to create wrfinput and wrfbdy. I have found a tutorial on HWRF's website (Idealized Run | dtcenter.org). However, HWRF uses different input files to specify the initial vortex (sound.d, storm.center, etc.). Is there any way to generate the GFS file for WRF?

Thank you.
Y

HI,
HWRF is based on WRF0-NMM dynamic core and it is quite different to WRF-ARW core.
I am not quote familiar with the COAST model, and I dimly know it is WRF coupled with ocean model. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Suppose COAWST is WRF coupled with ocean model, then to run the ideal WRF case, I guess you need to turn off the coupling and simply run it as standard WRF. Hopefully the WRF structure in COAWST is not changed. Otherwise I am suspicious that you must modify the codes.

Hope this is helpful for you. I also suggest you contact COAWST people to get more information.

HI,
HWRF is based on WRF0-NMM dynamic core and it is quite different to WRF-ARW core.
I am not quote familiar with the COAST model, and I dimly know it is WRF coupled with ocean model. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Suppose COAWST is WRF coupled with ocean model, then to run the ideal WRF case, I guess you need to turn off the coupling and simply run it as standard WRF. Hopefully the WRF structure in COAWST is not changed. Otherwise I am suspicious that you must modify the codes.

Hope this is helpful for you. I also suggest you contact COAWST people to get more information.
Hi Ming,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the ideal wrf first.

Best regards,
Y