MPAS restart run: how to write out a history file at the beginning

JiaWang

Member
When I run MPAS in a restart mode, the 1st history file is generated 6 hours after the initialization time.
Can a history file be rewritten at the beginning of the restart run?
 
It is supposed that the history file should be written at the end of the previous run and thus it is not re-written at the beginning of the restart run. Please specify the options in your stream files to save history file at the beginning time of your restart run.
 
This is the specification of the history file in the streams for my restart run:
<stream name="output"
type="output"
filename_template="history.$Y-$M-$D_$h.$m.$s.nc"
output_interval="6:00:00" >
<file name="stream_list.atmosphere.output"/>
</stream>


Which option do I need to add or change to make the restart run generate a history file at the beginning?

Or what you mean is that there is no way to generate a history file at the beginning of a restart run.
 
Just add some context why I wanted to have a history file at the beginning time of a restart run.

In the restart file that I use to initialize the run, some variables (e.g., rho, qv and u) are updated by JEDI, and other variables are left untouched (e.g., pressure).

To correctly calculate the vertical integral at the beginning of the restart run, I need to have updated pressure, consistent with the updated rho.

Since pressure is a diagnostic field, I expect the history file at the beginning time will have pressure diagnosed from updated rho.
 
Thank you for clarifying your issue. Unfortunately MPAS has no option to generate history file at the beginning of a restart run. I am not sure how to make it work this way, probably the clock-alarm setting needs to be changed.
 
Back
Top