Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

NaN detected in u & w when running limited-area simulations of the tutorial using 30km mesh

lamizha

Hello, I attended the MPAS-A model tutorial in early May. I try to run the limited-area simulations same as the tutorial, but use a higher-resolution mesh. I have tried with the 30-km mesh downloaded from MPAS-Atmosphere Meshes. All the settings are the same as the tutorial in Section 4 expect for changing the regional domain to West US. The data are all from the path in the tutorial: /glade/p/mmm/wmr/mpas_tutorial/met_data/. The namelist and streams file are edited according to Section 4 of the tutorial.

I have attached the log, namelist, and streams files. There is no error in the log.atmosphere.0000.out file. The model just stopped running when u & w becomes NaN. Please see below copied from the log.out file:

Begin timestep 2019-09-01_00:24:00
--- time to run the LW radiation scheme L_RADLW =F
--- time to run the SW radiation scheme L_RADSW =F
--- time to run the convection scheme L_CONV =T
--- time to apply limit to accumulated rainc and rainnc L_ACRAIN =F
--- time to apply limit to accumulated radiation diags. L_ACRADT =F
--- time to calculate additional physics_diagnostics =F
split dynamics-transport integration 3

global min, max w NaN NaN
global min, max u NaN NaN

Timing for integration step: 0.103064 s

Begin timestep 2019-09-01_00:30:00
--- time to run the LW radiation scheme L_RADLW =T
--- time to run the SW radiation scheme L_RADSW =T
--- time to run the convection scheme L_CONV =T
--- time to update the ozone climatology for RRTMG radiation codes
--- time to apply limit to accumulated rainc and rainnc L_ACRAIN =F
--- time to apply limit to accumulated radiation diags. L_ACRADT =F
--- time to calculate additional physics_diagnostics =F

I am pretty new in MPAS-A model and have no experience in running WRF (or regional area model). In addition, I also tried the 48-km mesh with my selected West US domain, and it run successfully. However, the 24-km mesh does not work. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• log.atmosphere.0000.out.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 1
  • namelist.atmosphere.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 2
  • regional_terrain (domain of the area).png
    regional_terrain (domain of the area).png
    114.7 KB · Views: 1
  • streams.atmosphere.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
I just find set config_dt = 240.0, config_len_disp = 12000.0 could solve this problem
But you are using a 30km mesh, which means the maximum config_dt you can set is 180 and config_len_disp must be 30000. I guess the settings you have set in the above message are wrong and will give the wrong results.

But you are using a 30km mesh, which means the maximum config_dt you can set is 180 and config_len_disp must be 30000. I guess the settings you have set in the above message are wrong and will give the wrong results.
Thanks for your information! Since 60km mesh links to maximum config_dt of 360 and 30km mesh links to maximum config_dt of 180, the maximum config_dt for 15km should be 90, and that for 5km should be 30, am I right?

yes exactly. The config_len should be 6 or 5 times that of the mesh. If you need any further help let me know.

@lamizha

Please confirm that you download the 30-km mesh from the MPAS

I just have one question: did you run init_atmopshere to produce static datafile for this 30-km mesh?