Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Nesting option with One input file in WRF ARW

Khin Myat

Hi
I would like to ask about wrf nesting with one input file option. I am running the WRF with two way nesting with one input file. As far as I understand now, if I use this option, wrf bdy and wrfinput file will come from D01. But I am a little confused, if I run the simulation with more than two domains, will the wrf bdy and wrf input file come from its parent domain or first domain. What i would like to know is if i run the with simulation four nested domains in which, the third and fourth domain is used with high resolution static data, will that high resolution static data be got when the innermost domain run? Or will the innermost domain get the boundary and initial data from the first domain or parent domain of the innermost domain?
if I would like get the high resolution data and boundary condition would like to get from its parent domain, which option (two way nesting two input file or two way nesting one input file) is better?

Any help or comment is appreciated.
thank you in advance for your help!

Best regard,
Khin

Hi Khin,
If you want the higher-resolution static input, I would suggest using the "two input file" method. If you only use one input file, all boundary and initial conditions will come from the parent domain.

Hi Kwerner,

Thank you so much for your reply @kwerner .
As far as I understand, the high resolution static data represent high resolution terrain data. Is that right?
If so, if the simulation is set up with three nested domains, in which domain 1 and 2 is set up with default resolution static data ,and nested domain 3 and 4 is set up high resolution static data , and run with "one input file" , does it mean that "the program will not use these high resolution static data in calculating the surface variable for domain 3 and 4 even though nested domain 3 and 4 set up with high resolution static data in WPS"?. All the calculations base on default resolution static data. The reason is when the real.exe run, the program initiated the calculation with default data of domain 1 and then calculation continue and , domain 1 results are used for the calculation of domain 2. And nested domain 2 results are used for calculation of variable of domain 3 . Is my understanding right? Or do I misunderstand?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Have a great day!

And I apologize for that I made a lot of grammar mistakes and I did not recheck the thread before posting in the previous post.

Best regard,
Khin

As far as I understand, the high resolution static data represent high resolution terrain data. Is that right?
Yes, that is correct - in addition to landuse, albedo, etc.

does it mean that "the program will not use these high resolution static data in calculating the surface variable for domain 3 and 4 even though nested domain 3 and 4 set up with high resolution static data in WPS"?
Yes, that is correct. If you're going through the online tutorial, take a look at this page, which provides the advantages/disadvantages of this "one input file" option. When you run real.exe with this option, you will only get a single wrfinput_d01 file (and no initial condition files for d02, d03, and d04). Therefore all initial condition data comes only from domain 01.

Hi Kwerner,
I understood well because of your explanation. Yes, I also follow through online tutorial and I have read the advantages/disadvantages.
Thank you very much for helping me whenever I am confused.
Have a great weekend.

Best regard,
Khin