Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Noah-MP water budget error on restart

Jorge_nm

We have the same problem that RCarpenter in this historical thread: Noah-MP water budget error on restart

"When restarting a WRF run in v4.3.3, a water budget error is sometimes triggered. This seems to be called from phys/module_sf_noahmplsm.F, where a criterion of ABS(ERRWAT) > 0.1 is used. I do not see this error if the model runs to completion without being restarted. The problem seems to occur fairly often when restarting. The error is seen in the rsl output on one or more patches" but in our case used v4.2.2 nd not used adaptive time stepping. We run the model with fix time_step.

Output:
The model is gaining water (ERRWAT is positive)
ERRWAT = 8.104321 kg m{-2} timestep{-1}
I J END_WB BEG_WB PRCP EDIR RUNSRF RUNSUB
118 424 8.105 0.000 0.00002 -0.00043 0.00000 0.00000
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 3024
Water budget problem in NOAHMP GLACIER
-------------------------------------------

Any comment or solution? We are going to run long simulations (30 years) in a continuous way and we will certainly have to use restart files.

Hi,
We looked into this water budget error. It looks like the BEG_WB variable did not get the correct value when restarting (which is currently 0.0 in this glacier point). In glacier point, BEG_WB will get initialized in NoahMP by using snow water equivalent (BEG_WB = SNEQV).

Would you please check the snow water equivalent variable (I believe it is called "SNOW" in WRF) in your restart file and see whether it is correctly assigned?

Please keep me updated about the issue. Thanks.