Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

not found RTHSHTEN using shcu_physics

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

musaidpp

Hi all,
I was trying to study Theta tendency ( RTHSHTEN ) and Q_V tendency (RQVSHTEN) using shallow physics parameterization in WRF v4.2.2. I am using this physics for the first time and i am not able to find any such variables in wrf out. The namelist and ncdump file is attached herewith.
View attachment ncdump.txt
View attachment namelist.input

can somebody please help me with in this regard?
I was truing to study condensation heating at vertical levels. Hope am doing it in the correct way, if am wrong please guide me .

Please find the following line in Registry.EM_COMMON:

state real RTHSHTEN ikj misc 1 - r "RTHSHTEN" "THETA TENDENCY DUE TO SHALLOW CUMULUS SCHEME" "K s-1"

Change it to

state real RTHSHTEN ikj misc 1 - rh "RTHSHTEN" "THETA TENDENCY DUE TO SHALLOW CUMULUS SCHEME" "K s-1"

Then recompile WRF and run your case, You should have RTHSHTEN in wrfout files.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Even though I have been using WRF for some years, I never explored Registry so far.
I could find that, these were defined in state entry of Registry, and the variable was only available for restart (r) by default. On adding 'h' along with 'r'. it will write the variable at history intervals,

I also could see that there are 'u' , 'd' and some more other string with RAINC like variables and I hope they deal with nesting. Should I use them in order to have the variable in nested domains?
Also, can I use 'h' with any variable? so that I can have them in my wrfout, using that particular scheme. And finally, how much computational expensive it becomes when more variables are defined to write to history in Registry?

Hi,
You can add 'h'to the 8th column of any state variable so that this variable can be included in wrfout.
As for 'u' and 'd', it depends on what variables you are looking at. Basically you don't need to add them to any variables, suppose you don't change anything in the codes.