Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Nudging namelist confusion

arunn

Hi,
I am running a month-long simulation. I'm trying to nudge the meteorological fields every 24hrs.
For this, issuing these in the namelist before running real.
Code:
 grid_fdda                           = 1
 gfdda_inname                        = 'wrffdda_d<domain>'
 gfdda_interval_m                    = 1440
 gfdda_end_d                         = 30
 io_form_gfdda                       = 2

However the wrffdda file, I get met fields and 'Times' stamps every 6 hours daily.
What am I doing wrong here?

Hi,
The wrffdda file will have times that match the boundary condition times in your wrfbdy file. However, since you set the gfdda_interval_m = 1440, then nudging will only happen every 24 hours. If you have a reason for only nudging less often than the times are available, it will be fine. You will just get warning messages in the output, like

Code:
**WARNING** Time in input file not equal to time on domain **WARNING**
 **WARNING** Trying next time in file wrffdda_d01 ...

but it should run to completion. Otherwise, you could just set the interval to the 6-hour interval available in the wrffdda file.

Thanks, kwerner for the clarification.
I have one more doubt, what does fgdt do? In the user manual, it is said "calculation frequency (in mins) for analysis nudging; 0=every time step (which is recommended)"
But I am not really sure how to interpret it. Could you please explain

Similar to the model time step (time_step), this value (fgdt) is the time step that is used for nudging. This is how often the model is nudged, and you can set to a value different from the model time_step, but there is not usually a need to do so. As it states, it's recommended to leave that value as 0, which means nudging will happen with every model time_step.

Hi, I am also confused about the two parameters "gfdda_interval_m" and "guv", how to understand "guv"? do the have the relationship like this: "gfdda_interval_m*60 =1/guv "? however, the example from Steps to run analysis nudging: ( the following picture) seems to have no such relationship. Thank you.
1698371472788.png

Hi, I am also confused about the two parameters "gfdda_interval_m" and "guv", how to understand "guv"? do the have the relationship like this: "gfdda_interval_m*60 =1/guv "? however, the example from Steps to run analysis nudging: ( the following picture) seems to have no such relationship. Thank you.
Since your question is different than the original question in this post, please open a new thread to post your question. Thank you.