Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Output Reynolds stress components uw, vw

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

zzzkzhao

Dear forum manager:
In ideal cases of WRF 4.2, with YSU PBL scheme, how to output the Reynolds stress components uw, vw.
Thank you.
Zhongkuo Zhao

Hi,
Take a look at this FAQ that points you in (hopefully) the right direction: https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=150

There is no phys/module_diagnostics.F in WRF4.0.
please tell me which of the followings is the correct one, thank you.
module_diag_afwa.F
module_diag_cl.F
module_diag_functions.F
module_diag_hailcast.F
module_diag_misc.F
module_diagnostics_driver.F
module_diag_pld.F
module_diag_rasm.F
module_diag_refl.F
module_diag_trad_fields.F
module_diag_zld.F
module_sf_sfcdiags.F
module_sf_sfcdiags_ruclsm.F

Hi,
That was a misprint. It should be module_diagnostics_driver.F. I've corrected the FAQ. Thank you for pointing that out.

Thank you.
I went through all the codes, but I don’t know how to output the diagnostics. Can you give me an example, uw?

Hi,
Unfortunately I don't have an example of outputting those variables. If the variable is not already included in the code, it is something that will need to be added and calculated, and then written to output. If you know where/how to add those variables in the YSU code, you can do so, and then to output them, you would follow the strategy as some of the other variables that are already in the code, and are output. As it's not in the code, and the YSU scheme was provided to our group from an outside collaborator, unfortunately we don't have the resources to do the coding for these variables. There may be other users on this forum who will be able to help you. You may also want to take a look at this presentation for understanding the code:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/202001/gill_registry.pdf