Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problems Compiling WRF

ratbiscuit225

I am attempting to compile WRF using the instructions located here. I went through the instructions step by step. Each required library builds successfully, and all the tests on this page come back with a SUCCESS response matching the output the page says is normal. My versions of gfortran and gcc meet the requirements suggested here.

I am trying to compile the idealized em_b_wave case for serial starting out as I only have one core to work with at the moment. I tried running setenv WRF_EM_CORE 1 before as this is indeed an intel system and I saw elsewhere in the installation instructions that this is necessary. I've attached my compile.log. I'm not exactly a Fortran pro, but it looks to me like certain files are missing (presumably ones that should be created by the compile script, as I've ensured my actual WRF directory is fully up to date with the git repo and that I enabled --recurse-submodule on my initial clone). I don't see any errors preceding the missing files that would explain why they're not being generated, though, so I am mystified as to the cause.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• compile.log
    451.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi,
We have seen some issues with GNU versions 6* through 8*. I'm not sure if the version of GNU is causing your compile issues, but since GNU is free, can you update to a more recent version. For reference, I'm using gnu/10.1.0, which seems to work okay. After you update the compiler, you'll need to reinstall your libraries with that new compiler. Then please issue a ./clean -a and then reconfigure and recompile. If it fails again, please send your new compile.log, as well as your configure.wrf file. Thanks!

Alright, I went ahead and did this with...not much success. Looking through my new log.compile (attached) it appears that I'm getting many of the same missing file errors.

I am running RedHat 8. So, I had to use gcc-toolset-9 to use GNU compiler 9.2.1. I ensured I was running the correct gcc and gfortran before compiling all my libraries (and WRF itself). Still, should this be causing issues?

Attachments

• compile2.log
    821.7 KB · Views: 0
Alright, I went ahead and did this with...not much success. Looking through my new log.compile (attached) it appears that I'm getting many of the same missing file errors.

I am running RedHat 8. So, I had to use gcc-toolset-9 to use GNU compiler 9.2.1. I ensured I was running the correct gcc and gfortran before compiling all my libraries (and WRF itself). Still, should this be causing issues?
@ratbiscuit225

This is how I got Redhat 8 to work on my VM, maybe this will help you?

Bash:
    echo "old version of GNU detected"
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S yum install centos-release-scl -y
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S yum clean all
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S yum remove devtoolset-11*
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S yum install devtoolset-11
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S yum install devtoolset-11-\* -y
    source /opt/rh/devtoolset-11/enable
    gcc --version
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S yum install epel-release -y
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S yum install dnf -y
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf install epel-release -y
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf install dnf -y
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf -y update
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf -y upgrade
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf -y install autoconf automake bzip2 bzip2-devel byacc cairo-devel cmake cpp curl curl-devel flex flex-devel fontconfig-devel fontconfig-devel.x86_64 gcc gcc-c++ gcc-gfortran git java-11-openjdk java-11-openjdk-devel ksh libX11-devel libX11-devel.x86_64 libXaw libXaw-devel libXext-devel libXext-devel.x86_64 libXmu-devel libXrender-devel libXrender-devel.x86_64 libstdc++ libstdc++-devel libstdc++-static libxml2 libxml2-devel m4 mlocate mlocate.x86_64 nfs-utils okular perl pkgconfig pixman-devel python3 python3-devel tcsh time unzip wget
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf -y groupinstall "Development Tools"
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf -y update
    echo $PASSWD | sudo -S dnf -y upgrade

echo " "

the important line is the source command for the dev toolkit.