Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problems running Urban UCM and WUDAPT LCZ

RCarpenter

I am having trouble using the single-layer UCM with WRF 4.5.1. WRF dies after about 1.5 hours with little diagnostic info.

I’m running GEOGRID with
geog_data_res = 'cglc_modis_lcz+modis_lai+modis_30s_lake+30s', …

I’m using NoahMP and
sf_urban_physics = 1, 1, 1
use_wudapt_lcz = 1
num_land_cat = 61

In some of the rsl output files I see:
WARNING, FRC_URB2D = 0 BUT IVGTYP IS URBAN
WARNING, THE URBAN FRACTION WILL BE READ FROM URBPARM.TBL

Can you clarify whether UCM is compatible with NoahMP?
In the User’s Guide, Physics section, it says “… use an urban model with either the Noah or NoahMP LSM scheme”.
In the Namelist section, it says “use with Noah LSM only”.

I note that gravitational settling does not seem to be compatible with 61 land categories:
Unknown landuse category (sf_fogdes.F): num_land_cat= 61

Finally, can you post the presentation by Cenlin He from this year’s WRF/MPAS workshop, session 1 (II)? Only the abstract is available.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4 KB · Views: 8
  • namelist.wps
    1 KB · Views: 9
  • rsl.error.0000.gz
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • rsl.error.0005.gz
    2.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi RCarpenter,
Have you downloaded the required static data for the urban canopy model such as the urban fraction field? It can be found at Static Data Downloads. Look under "urban physics" and you should see
NUDAPT44_1KM and urbfrac_nlcd2011. Try adding those and see if the messages go away.

I am having trouble using the single-layer UCM with WRF 4.5.1. WRF dies after about 1.5 hours with little diagnostic info.

I’m running GEOGRID with
geog_data_res = 'cglc_modis_lcz+modis_lai+modis_30s_lake+30s', …

I’m using NoahMP and
sf_urban_physics = 1, 1, 1
use_wudapt_lcz = 1
num_land_cat = 61

In some of the rsl output files I see:
WARNING, FRC_URB2D = 0 BUT IVGTYP IS URBAN
WARNING, THE URBAN FRACTION WILL BE READ FROM URBPARM.TBL

Can you clarify whether UCM is compatible with NoahMP?
In the User’s Guide, Physics section, it says “… use an urban model with either the Noah or NoahMP LSM scheme”.
In the Namelist section, it says “use with Noah LSM only”.

I note that gravitational settling does not seem to be compatible with 61 land categories:
Unknown landuse category (sf_fogdes.F): num_land_cat= 61

Finally, can you post the presentation by Cenlin He from this year’s WRF/MPAS workshop, session 1 (II)? Only the abstract is available.
The presentation by Cenlin He was provided in MP4:Index of /wrf/users/workshops/WS2023/recordings