Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problems with the initialization of the temperature of the 4 soil layers when using MPAS/NOAHMP.

paulo.kubota

"When I use the NOAHMP surface parameterization, I'm having issues with the initialization of the temperature for the 4 soil layers. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?"

"Hi Mduda,
When I use the NOAHMP parameterization, in the first model iteration (itimestep = 1), the 'tslb' temperature at the 4 levels is correct. However, in itimestep = 2, the values appear as 273.16 at all levels."

Does the 'tslb' field look correct over the first few timesteps if you use Noah instead of Noah-MP (i.e., setting config_lsm_scheme = 'sf_noah' rather than config_lsm_scheme = 'sf_noahmp'), but making no other changes to the code or input files?

When I use the option config_lsm_scheme = 'sf_noah', it works. But the problem occurs when I use config_lsm_scheme = 'sf_noahmp'.

It's the only option I change in the runs.

Thanks very much for the plots. It looks like I'm able to reproduce the issue myself, and we'll take a closer look on our side to see what the underlying issue might be.