Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Prognostic Wind Model Layer Count

Abdullah Butt

Hi,

The issue I am encountering is that on running Calmet for my defined domain d04 I am receiving the following error:

"Count of layers in the prognostic wind model's grid(51) exceeds the limit(MXNZP=50)"

So here are my queries:

1. Where I can check the layers count of the metdata. And what layers is this in reference to? I am using the ds083.2 dataset.
2. Is there nay way I can reduce the number of layers?
3. Is there any other way to resolve the error?

I am attaching the namelist files here for reference.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.5 KB · Views: 3
  • namelist.wps
    1.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi,
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that's referring to. We don't have any experience with Calmet. In looking at your namelist.input file, as you said, it looks like you are using GFS data with 34 levels, and then you have e_vert set to 34, which means you are not adding any additional layers/levels. You may have to refer to the guidance from the Calmet program or ask someone in their support group for help. If you find the answer, let us know, in case someone else runs across this issue in the future. Thanks!

Hi,
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that's referring to. We don't have any experience with Calmet. In looking at your namelist.input file, as you said, it looks like you are using GFS data with 34 levels, and then you have e_vert set to 34, which means you are not adding any additional layers/levels. You may have to refer to the guidance from the Calmet program or ask someone in their support group for help. If you find the answer, let us know, in case someone else runs across this issue in the future. Thanks!
Yes sure. Will be updating on the issue as soon as I find the solution.

Update

The error was due to compatibility issue between the Calwrf version and Calpuff version I was using. As soon as it was fixed the layers error was resolved and the domain error by setting calmet domain size smaller than the innermost domain of my wrf model.