Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Question about the use of Land use fraction (LANDUSEF) in the model

psagar

If we select MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH, there are actually 21 (0-20) categories in the input data, which can be seen from LANDUSEF in geo_em*. However, in the VEGPARM.TBL, LANDUSEF is identified only from 1 to 20, e.g. 1 for evergreen needleleaf forest and 20 for barren tundra, which means that there are only 20 categories. Could anyone comment on this discrepancy? For example, if I want to modify Croplands, I would change the values for the category 12 in the VEGPARM.TBL but in the input file, Croplands actually corresponds to 11 in the land_cat_stag, not 12. This creates confusion. Could you please clarify?

Hi,
Apologies for the delay in response. The variable LANDUSEF should just be a 0-1 categories, where the variations are in decimals. Perhaps you meant LU_INDEX, which should have categories 1-21. I'm not sure how you would get 0-20 in your geo_em* files.

The extra category (21) is for lakes, and is available until real.exe is run and it is merged with the general water category (like oceans). At that point a lake mask is created (LAKEMASK). You definitely should not change the other categories from 1-20.