Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

RE: Input Static Data

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Hi,

I am using WRF for high-resolution mesoscale wind resource mapping of a small island in the tropical SW Pacific.

I wanted to know if WRF takes into account the real obstacles to wind flow like houses, buildings, towns, and cities in its static input data??

Does it just take into account the land use type, topography and vegetation fraction??

And for the land-use type where can I find the different categories and what all are included in each category??

As I was trying to match the wind roses of locations in areas with the above-mentioned obstacles and there are huge variations in the order of more than 30 degrees.

Appreciate your assistance and advice.

Regards
Kunal

Hi Kunal,
Please see my answers to your questions:

(1) WRF takes into account the real obstacles to wind flow like houses, buildings, towns, and cities in its static input data?

No, WRF doesn't consider houses, buildings, etc.

(2) Does it just take into account the land use type, topography and vegetation fraction?

Yes these information are included in static input data

(3) for the land-use type where can I find the different categories and what all are included in each category?

There are 24 land use types if you use USGS and 20 or 21 (including lakes) if you use MODIS as input.

(4) Note that for high resolution run, especially when you try to address wind speed/direction in areas such as urban area, large discrepancy can be found between observations and simulations due to the effects of small-scale structures like buildings, street valleys, etc.