Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

reclassifying Esri land use

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

adriana

Dear all,
I need to use Esri land use data as land use in wrf model. My problem is : How to reclassify Esri land use data to USGS classes. As you know USGS has 24 classes and Esri land use has only 10 classes (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fc92d38533d440078f17678ebc20e8e2). So how can I mach Esri land use classes to USGS please?
Thanks in advance,

Hi,
I guess you can only roughly reclassify ESRI data to USGS or MODIS. Below is an example that rematch USGS/MODIS to SSIB landuse type. Please take a look and follow the similar approach to reclassify your data (module_sf_ssib.F):
Code:
! Check vegetation/land use map choice
! USGS-SSIB vegetation type conversion
     DATA IVUSGS / 7, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12,  7,  9,            &
                   8,  6,  2,  5,  1,  4,  3,  0,            &
                  10,  3, 11, 10, 10, 10, 10, 13/
! MODIS-SSIB vegetation type conversion  (fds Jan/2015)
     DATA IVMODIS / 4,  1,  5,  2,  3,  8,  9,  6,           &
                    6,  7,  7, 12, 11, 12, 13, 11,           &
                    0, 10, 10, 10/
! Converts vegetation/land use types
  IF(MMINLU.EQ.'SSIB') THEN
      ITYPE=IVGTYP
  ELSEIF(MMINLU.EQ.'USGS') THEN
      ITYPE=IVUSGS(IVGTYP)
  ELSEIF(MMINLU.EQ.'MODIS') THEN
      ITYPE=IVMODIS(IVGTYP)
  ELSE IF (MMINLU .EQ. 'MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH') THEN
      ITYPE=IVMODIS(IVGTYP)
  ELSE
     CALL wrf_error_fatal ( 'SSIB LSM only works with SSIB or USGS vegetation (landuse) map' )
  ENDIF

Hi Ming,
Thanks for your advice. I planed to use arcgis to reclassify the Esri data. Do you have any suggestion in this regard please?
Best wishes,

Hi,
I am not familiar with ESRI data, and can hardly provide any information how to match it with USGS. There is only one issue: I would like to suggest that you match ESRI with MODIS. This is because MODIS is relatively new and derived from satellite remote sensing, while USGS is pretty old. However, if for some reason you like to use USGS, that is totally fine.