Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Regarding MPAS converter for level

EMMANUEL

I would like to know even I use MPAS_converter level is not showing as variable only Lon and Lat in my 4D data (lon,lat,level,time
Kindly can anyone suggest on this)

Hi Emmanual,
If you run convert_mpas, in your latlon.nc file, you will have 4D variables, for example,
Code:
 float rthratenlw(Time, latitude, longitude, nVertLevels)
Note that nVertLevels is the number of vertical levels. Is this what you need?

dimensions:
Time = UNLIMITED ; // (45 currently)
nLats = 1001 ;
nLons = 1001 ;
nVertLevels = 37 ;
nVertLevelsP1 = 38 ;
variables:
float lat(nLats) ;
float lon(nLons) ;
float qv(Time, nLats, nLons, nVertLevels) ;
qv:long_name = "Water vapor mixing ratio" ;
qv:units = "kg kg^{-1}" ;
float qc(Time, nLats, nLons, nVertLevels) ;
qc:long_name = "Cloud water mixing ratio" ;

after ncdump
but under variable no 'nVertLevels = 37'
it is just for dimensions'

I would like to know what are the pressure level. But since it is not under variables category it cant be dump

Do i need to define the level also in the target domain file before running the convert_mpas

Last edited:
The output of your ncdump command shows that :

Code:
nLats = 1001 ;
nLons = 1001 ;
nVertLevels = 37 ;
nVertLevelsP1 = 38 ;

This indicates that you have 1001 x 1001 horizontal grids and you have 37 vertical levels for mass variables and the number of your full model levels is 38.

You don't need to specify vertical levels in the target domain, because cover_mpas only conducts horizontal interpolation.

The output of your ncdump command shows that :

Code:
nLats = 1001 ;
nLons = 1001 ;
nVertLevels = 37 ;
nVertLevelsP1 = 38 ;

This indicates that you have 1001 x 1001 horizontal grids and you have 37 vertical levels for mass variables and the number of your full model levels is 38.

You don't need to specify vertical levels in the target domain, because cover_mpas only conducts horizontal interpolation.
I would like to know what are the pressure levels which file should I refer to, is it history or diagnostic. As I converted using MPAS _converter only lat lon information are there

Can you find the variable 'pressure' in your history file? This variable should also be included in latlon.nc file after you run convert_mpas.
This is pressure at each model level. Note that convert_mpas only conducts horizontal interpolation. In the vertical direction, all data are still located at the model level. You need to create codes to interpolate data to pressure levels.