Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Regarding useage of bogus TC

DeebakVijay

hello,
I have few doubts regarding usage of tc.exe.(note: I have read TC bogus: how to set rmax? )

1) As I understand , both "remove_storm" and "insert_bogus_storm" should NOT be kept TRUE , simultaneosuly . So If I have to remove an existing cyclone and replace it with a bogus vortex should I run tc.exe twice with "remove_storm" as True once followed by insert_bogus_storm" as True.

2)As I understand from manual , for removing a vortex TC.exe should be run for the initial time only . So if there is a strom generated while time integration due to unmodified boundary conditions, is there a possibility to remove the weak residue that remains . (May be like creating restart files in-between and editing them for frequently removing and continuing without any residue. Is it possible to run tc.exe with rst file as input. )

3) For running nested domains, horizontal interpolation is required for inner domains as tc.exe can be run only on outer domain . How to do this?

4) How to copy necessary fields from tc.exe output to met_files? What is the ncl command to be used . Can it be done on wrf python . If so how?

5) My wrf is not built with serial configuration. Can tc.exe run with 1 core in my wrf(I use version 4.4)?

6) Should "num_storm , latc_loc , lonc_loc , vmax_meters_per_second, rmax and vmax_ratio " be set even if we are only removing the strom.

Regards,
Deebak Vijay

Hi Deebak,
Please see my answers below:

1) As I understand , both "remove_storm" and "insert_bogus_storm" should NOT be kept TRUE , simultaneosuly . So If I have to remove an existing cyclone and replace it with a bogus vortex should I run tc.exe twice with "remove_storm" as True once followed by insert_bogus_storm" as True.

You can run with following namelist options to remove an existing cyclone and create a bogus vortex

&tc

insert_bogus_storm = .true.

remove_storm = .false.

2 )As I understand from manual , for removing a vortex TC.exe should be run for the initial time only . So if there is a strom generated while time integration due to unmodified boundary conditions, is there a possibility to remove the weak residue that remains . (May be like creating restart files in-between and editing them for frequently removing and continuing without any residue. Is it possible to run tc.exe with rst file as input. )

I don't think WRF has this capability

3) For running nested domains, horizontal interpolation is required for inner domains as tc.exe can be run only on outer domain . How to do this?

You can run with the option below:
init_from_file = '.true.', '.false.',

4) How to copy necessary fields from tc.exe output to met_files? What is the ncl command to be used . Can it be done on wrf python . If so how?

You can simply rename the output file from tc,exe as met_em.d01.<date>,

5) My wrf is not built with serial configuration. Can tc.exe run with 1 core in my wrf(I use version 4.4)?

tc.exe can only run with single processor.

6) Should "num_storm , latc_loc , lonc_loc , vmax_meters_per_second, rmax and vmax_ratio " be set even if we are only removing the strom.

You need to set latc_loc , lonc_loc , vmax_meters_per_second, rmax and vmax_ratio. num_storm has a default value of 1.