Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Compiling WPS on ppc64le architecture: fatal error: wrf_io_flags.h: No such file or directory

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

allenmr

Dear WRF Support,

I am trying to compile WPS 3.7.1 on the OLCF Summit machine at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. WRF 3.7.1 has compiled well on the machine with PGI, but the WPS compile has completely eluded me. I have attached my most recent configure.wps file and the log file it produced. This is just the latest in a long line of trial-and-error-and-google. The configure.defaults file in the arch directory did not list any ppc64le architecture configure options, so I copied the configure_new.defaults from the WRF3 arch directory to the WPS arch directory and used it to try to configure WPS using the same options as for the WRF configure. I think that I have still not arrived at the right combination of flags, pgi versions and libraries to accommodate the WPS code. A colleague had provided a few additional flags (configure.wrf attached as well) that helped the WRF compile, and I also tried substituting some of those flags into my configure.wps, but I still can’t figure out what is going wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• configure.wps
    5.5 KB · Views: 47
  • configure.wrf
    20.2 KB · Views: 48
  • log.compile7141225.txt
    132 KB · Views: 52
Hi,
Do you mind attaching the compile log for WRF, as well, so that I can take a look?

Have you tried following our online compilation tutorial (word for word) to make sure everything is set up correctly in your environment, and that all the libraries are built correctly, etc.?

Thanks very much, kwerner, for your reply.

Please find attached the compile log for WRF V3.7.1. You can see that this compiled successfully with no errors and the executables were built. I have used WRF V3.7.1 and WPS V3.7.1 intensely and successfully in the past on other machines; but this particular architecture, it seems, needs a different approach to the compile. Nevertheless, my first course of action this time was to follow the tutorial word-for-word because that had worked for the other machines. In this case, the approach in the tutorial did not work for either the WRF compile or the WPS compile. My colleague had found some work-arounds for the WRF compile, which he thankfully shared, but I think there may be additional considerations for WPS. (All that being said, I don't discount the idea that I may have overlooked something obvious.)

Thanks again for looking into this.

Attachments

• compile.log
    732.4 KB · Views: 46
There was some attempt in the WPS v4.1 release to add support for Linux/POWER systems with the XL compilers, specifically, in this pull request. It may be sufficient to add a modified version of these changes to your WPS/arch/configure.defaults file:
Code:
########################################################################################################################
#ARCH   Linux ppc64le POWER Linux, PGI compiler # serial serial_NO_GRIB2 dmpar dmpar_NO_GRIB2
#
COMPRESSION_LIBS    = CONFIGURE_COMP_L
COMPRESSION_INC     = CONFIGURE_COMP_I
FDEFS               = CONFIGURE_FDEFS
NCARG_LIBS          =
NCARG_LIBS2         =
FC                  = mpifort
SFC                 = pgfortran
CC                  = mpicc
SCC                 = pgcc
LD                  = $(FC)
FFLAGS              = -Mfree -byteswapio
F77FLAGS            = -Mfixed -byteswapio
FNGFLAGS            = $(FFLAGS)
LDFLAGS             =
CFLAGS              =
CPP                 = cpp -P -traditional
CPPFLAGS            = -Uvector -D_UNDERSCORE -DBYTESWAP -DLINUX -DIO_NETCDF -DIO_BINARY -DIO_GRIB1 -DBIT32 CONFIGURE_MPI
ARFLAGS             =

Thank you very much to mgduda and kwerner!

mgduda's Linux/POWER systems changes to the configure.wps got ungrib to compile with the serial option; and kwerner's conversations with others about getting geogrid and metgrid to compile got me the rest of the way!

Thanks again!