Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) ERA5 on RDA

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

gabriel_bromley

Hello,

Do you know when the 1979-present ERA5 data will be available for use with WRF? I see that 2002-present is available which will keep me happy for a bit, but I need to run the early 1980's eventually as well. I was using ERA-Interim but I needed an additional one-way nesting to use it and the high-resolution ERA5 will allow me to skip that step and simplify computation.

Thanks,

Gabe

Hi Gabe,
Unfortunately that is not managed by our group (WRF development/support). I would suggest trying to contact the RDA group to see if they have any plans to make this code available.

Kelly

Thanks for your reply Kelly. I am looking to use ERA5 from CDS but I have a suspicion they offer far more variables than are needed to run WRF. Can you point to a resource to know which variables I need to get in order to successfully run WRF? Could I look at a met_em output for era-interim?

Thanks!

Gabe,
These are the variables that are needed:

3D Data
Temperature
U and V components of wind
Geopotential height
Relative Humidity (or Specific Humidity)

2D Data
Surface pressure
Mean sea-level pressure
Skin temperature/SST
2 meter temperature and relative humidity
10 meter U and V components of wind
Soil data (temperature and moisture) and soil height

Recommended Fields
LANDSEA mask field for input data
Water equivalent snow depth
SEAICE
Additional SST data