Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) metgrid --> NetCDF error in ext_ncd_get_dom_ti.code INTEGER

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

mcanonic

Hi all,
I hope that I'm posting this question in the right forum.
In my machine, geogrid and ungrid work perfectly. Now it's the turn of metgrid but by run it with any parameters I get these error message:
Code:
~/WPS$ ./metgrid.exe 
Processing domain 1 of 5
 WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error: NetCDF: Attribute not found
 WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error in ext_ncd_get_dom_ti.code INTEGER, line          83  Element FLAG_XLAT_M         
WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error: NetCDF: Attribute not found
 WRF_DEBUG: NetCDF error in ext_ncd_get_dom_ti.code INTEGER, line          83  Element FLAG_XLONG_M 
 NFORM: Going to create the field SOIL_LAYERS
INFORM: Going to create the field SOILM
INFORM: Couldn't find SOILM000 at level 200100.000000 to fill level 0.000000 of SOILM.
INFORM: Couldn't find SOILM005 at level 200100.000000 to fill level 5.000000 of SOILM.
INFORM: Couldn't find SOILM020 at level 200100.000000 to fill level 20.000000 of SOILM.

At the end, what I got is this:
Code:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!  Successful completion of metgrid.  !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_OVERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_DENORMAL

Maybe I can ignore the error messages?

Thanks,
Massimo

Hi Massimo,
I moved this inquiry from the WPS compiling section of the forum, to the metgrid section, as it pertains to running the code, as opposed to compiling the code.

Yes, you are safe to ignore those messages. The "INFORM" statements are essentially printed out statements for if/else tests within the code. It's saying that it didn't find certain variables at particular levels, so it moves on to the next, and it's eventually finding what it needs. As for the NetCDF error statements, I assume you have the parameter "debug_level" set to something higher than 0 in the namelist.wps file? If you set that to 0, you won't see those messages.

Thanks.
It's a little weird that I can ignore "error" message independently from the debug level.
Best,
Massimo

Massimo,
It's a legitimate concern; however, the debug option was originally put in the namelist for testing/coding purposes. We recently removed it from the default namelists for several reasons - one being that it produced deceiving statements that weren't actual problems. If your metgrid output looks okay and is able to run through real and wrf, then all should be okay.

Thanks for your answer.
Just to be sure, the right and most recent procedure to install and configure everything is here:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php

When you said:
"We recently removed it from the default namelists", its a something just included in the link above?
Best,
Massimo

Hi Massimo,
I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't believe that information is found in the link you provided. Can you restate the question? Thanks.

Sorry about that.
The question is: Is the link above the right guide to follow?"
That means the most updated with all the new features you provide.

M