Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) No U10 & V10 for met_em*nc files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

huzidaxian

Dear Sir/Madam,

U10 and V10 are required variables based on https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Basics/UNGRIB/ungrib_req_fields.php when running WRF model and this can also be confirmed in file Vtable. But in met_em.*.nc files I notice there are no U10 and V10 variables, and after real.exe, U10 and V10 appear in wrfinput. Does it mean U10 and V10 are not extracted from raw input file but diagnosed within real.exe stage? Is it the expected way to get these variables? Thanks.

BR,
Huzidaxian

Hi,
I apologize for the delay in response to this inquiry. I somehow overlooked it.
The value for U and 10 m is actually included in the met_em* files as one of the num_metgrid levels in the 3d variables. It's listed as UU. So one of the bottom levels is U10. This data is definitely used as initial and boundary conditions for model integration.