Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Time Difference between NCEP/FNL Input data and ground-based wind data

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Hi,

I am using NCEP FNL data as input into WRF and I am simulating winds in a region of the Southwest Pacific.

The input data I am using is at UTC +00 and the ground-based wind data I have is at UTC +12.

I want to know whether the time difference between the input data and the location will cause any problems in simulating winds?

I am sure there will be a problem when trying to verify the output from WRF files to ground-based wind data due to this time difference?

What can I do overcome the above problems?

Appreciate your help.

Regards
Kunal

I suppose you want to run WRF driven by FNL, and then you want to verify wrfout against your found-based in-situ observations. Please let me know if I am wrong.

if this is the case, you need to match the time between wrfout and your in-situ observations, i.e., you need to make sure that your wrfout at 00 UTC is verified against your observations at the same time (00 UTC). You cannot compare wrfout at, say 00 UTC, with observations at 12 UTC.

Yes, you are right!

I take note and thank you for the information.

So, I need to start at the 12th hour of the in-situ observation and compare it with wrfout at 00 UTC.
This should solve my problem of comparison?