Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) URB_PARAM and WRF output

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

kyle_r

Hello,

I had a question regarding the output I am receiving from my simulations, but I posted it under this topic because it relates to the URB_PARAM entry in GEOGRID.TBL. For a short background, I am studying urban heat islands, and my inner grid size is 1-km resolution. In my WRF output for T2, I am getting a distinct shape in the middle of my urban area where temperatures are warmer than those of more suburban areas (image attached to this message). It appears like the shape is essentially the same as the URB_PARAM data from the NUDAPT dataset. This dataset only includes information for the central portion of the city. I have been looking for a way to overcome this issue (e.g. extrapolation or updated datasets) but haven't had much luck. Are you aware of a way to correct for this, or is it common to just turn this setting off?

Thank you

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 736
This result is a consequence of specified urban characteristics in WPS/WRF.
If you want a smoother transition between central urban area and its surrounding area, you can adjust FRC_URB2D in wrfinput. However, one must be cautious to artificially tune variables like this to make sure the tuning is physically reasonable.