Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) What is the minimum value for the num_metgrid_levels

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sekluzia

Dear Colleges,

What is the minimum value for the num_metgrid_levels parameter lower that value the WRF model will fail to work?

Best regards,
Artur

Hi Artur,

I assume this question is related to your question here?
http://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=952&e=1&view=unread#unread

If so, is it okay if we delete this question?
If not, can you clarify exactly what you're asking?

Thanks,
Kelly

Dear Kelly,

Indeed, this was another issue I faced. I had a forcing data with upper-air data available at 15 pressure-levels.
I thought that the stop of real.exe was because of insufficient number of vertical levels in my data.

Artur

Artur,
Thank you for the clarification. We don't actually have a minimum of levels required to run WRF. The input data come with a set number of vertical levels and then, depending on what you set the number to when running real/wrf (e_vert), the model will just interpolate to however many levels you requested, using the data from the available levels from input. This is actually not always great practice, as sometimes the number of levels doesn't provide enough information between levels for a good interpolation. Unfortunately, it's just something each person will need to test - to make sure things look reasonable. I'd recommend running a short test with the set-up you're interested in and see whether it looks okay. 15 levels may be okay, but we typically see closer to 30 levels for basic input data.

Kelly