Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Why the CORDEX domain is used?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

littleho_song

I have some general question on the projection that the CORDEX project is using:
e_we = 126
e_sn = 123
dx = 0.44,
dy = 0.44,
map_proj = 'lat-lon',
ref_lat = 60.21,
ref_lon = -44.14,
ref_x = 11,
ref_y = 113,
stand_lon = -18,
pole_lat = 39.25,
pole_lon = -162,

The above is what is recommended for the cordex project. My question is that isn't this distorting more than a LAMBERT projection?

Although I'm not really familiar with the CORDEX project, I can offer that the rotated lat-lon projection can provide very little map scale distortion over large geographic areas. So, depending on the parameters of the Lambert projection, it may be possible to obtain less distortion using a rotated lat-lon projection.

Sorry, is there a way to check which projection has the most distortion? I wonder if by comparing the maximum map factor would be enough.