Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Run WRF model for USA location

Hi Team,

I am working in exploring WRF model for different locations. Currently, we have a working WRF model for Europe. We would also want to run the model for USA location. Please let me know how it can be done? Any suggestions will be helpful. Kindly let me know.

Best regards,
Nanda

Nanda,
You can change your Europe area to OCNUS area, then all other steps should be the same.Below is an example of US area selection for WRWF run: Note that the key options is dx, map_proj, ref_lat and ref_lon. they determine the location and size of your domain.

&geogrid
parent_id = 1, 1, 2,

parent_grid_ratio = 1, 3, 3,

i_parent_start = 1, 24, 27,

j_parent_start = 1, 20, 27,

e_we = 72, 73, 109,

e_sn = 61, 61, 109,

geog_data_res = 'default',

dx = 15000,

dy = 15000,

map_proj = 'lambert',

ref_lat = 39.,

ref_lon = -95.,

truelat1 = 29.0,

truelat2 = 49.0,

stand_lon = -100.0

/

Hello Team,

This is with respect to running WRF model. Do we have any testing tool available where we can modify the parameters to test the location change. Kindly let me know.

Best regards,
Nanda

I am not quite clear of your question. if you want to change the model domain, you can simply modify namelist.wps to specify the domain area where you want to run WRF for simulations. I don't think you need a 'testing tool' to check location change.