Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

running real.exe

hannahv1711

New member
hello

I am trying to use WRF to downscale MPI-ESM1.2-HR data and have been using a python package "pywinter" to produce the intermediate files to be read by metgrid (this replaces the ungrib step). After successfully managing to run metgrid on these data to generate the met_em files I have moved on to running real.exe. However it seems that there might be some problem with my soil data since the number of soil levels found in the met_em files by running real, is 0. However the soil data (SOILM, SOILT) were read in on 5 levels by metgrid.exe. Here is the error I get in the rsl.out.0000 file:

----------------- ERROR -------------------
namelist : num_metgrid_soil_levels = 5
input files : NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 (from met_em files).
d01 1980-01-01_06:00:00 ---- ERROR: Mismatch between namelist and global attribute NUM_METGRID
_SOIL_LEVELS
NOTE: 1 namelist vs input data inconsistencies found.
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 1284
NOTE: Please check and reset these options
-------------------------------------------

I am not sure why the number of soil levels that should have been found in the met_em files is incorrect.

I attach a copy of rsl.out.0000 from running real
 

Attachments

  • rsl.error.0000
    5 KB · Views: 3
  • rsl.out.0000
    79.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi,
Can you issue

Code:
ncdump -h <your met_em file> | grep NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS

I assume that will return a value of 0. If that's the case, then can you attach your metgrid.log file, your namelist.wps file, and one of your soil input data files so I can take a look? If you used a modified METGRID.TBL, please attach that, as well. If the data file is too large to attach, and you don't have another method for linking the file here, please see the home page of this forum for details on sharing large files. Thanks!
 
Hello,

Yes I have issued the ncdump command on one of the met_em files and it returns :NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 ;
I have attached the metgrid.log and namelist.wps files here, but the soil moisture file (mrsol_1980-01-01_06) is uploaded to nextcloud as it was not possible to upload this type of file here.
I don't believe I have used a modified version of METGRID.TBL, but I attach the version that is being used anyway.
Thanks very much for your help!
 

Attachments

  • namelist.wps
    1.1 KB · Views: 4
  • metgrid.log
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • METGRID.TBL.txt
    34.3 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for sending those and apologize on the delay in response. Thanks for being patient with us.

The issue is that in your input file, you have different codes for the data than are in the METGRID.TBL, meaning the metgrid program is not finding any of your soil data. For e.g., for soil moisture, these are the codes your data use:

FIELD = SOILM003
FIELD = SOILM019
FIELD = SOILM078
FIELD = SOILM268
FIELD = SOILM698

and if you look in the METGRID.TBL, those are not available. You will either need to modify your input data to the codes in the METGRID.TBL, or you'll need to modify the METGRID.TBL to add sections for your data codes. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.
 
Thanks for sending those and apologize on the delay in response. Thanks for being patient with us.

The issue is that in your input file, you have different codes for the data than are in the METGRID.TBL, meaning the metgrid program is not finding any of your soil data. For e.g., for soil moisture, these are the codes your data use:

FIELD = SOILM003
FIELD = SOILM019
FIELD = SOILM078
FIELD = SOILM268
FIELD = SOILM698

and if you look in the METGRID.TBL, those are not available. You will either need to modify your input data to the codes in the METGRID.TBL, or you'll need to modify the METGRID.TBL to add sections for your data codes. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.
I did suspect that the problem was that the soil data were not on the levels that are contained in METGRID.TBL but I was unsure about what the correct way of fixing this would be. But it sounds like I can modify METGRID.TBL to match the data codes I have. Thanks very much for the explanation!
 
Top