Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Running real.exe

Amadou

Hi,
I am trying to run real.exe, but it stops with the following error message:

ERROR in psfc: flag_psfc = 0, flag_soilhgt = 0, flag_slp = 0, sfcp_to_sfcp = F

Can someone helps me?

Can you rerun the command and attach the following files in a zip folder?

- namelist for wrf and wps
- rsl out files
- rsl error files

Does wps successfully create the met files?

Can you rerun the command and attach the following files in a zip folder?

- namelist for wrf and wps
- rsl out files
- rsl error files

Does wps successfully create the met files?
Hi
Yes, wps has successfully created the met files. Please, find attached the requested files for more details.

Cheers

Attachments

• doc.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Hi
Yes, wps has successfully created the met files. Please, find attached the requested files for more details.

Cheers
So it looks like you are using ERA5 reanalysis data.

so ERA5 data is split into two seperate files that need to be downloaded and then called seperately in wps.

Since I do not have access to your data source I can't write the specific way to do it but I can show you my WPS commands that I use when I do ERA5.

Bash:
d $WPSDIR
cp -f $CONFIGDIR/pressure.namelist.wps $WPSDIR/namelist.wps
cd $WPSDIR/geogrid
ulimit -s unlimited
ln -sf GEOGRID.TBL.ARW_CHEM GEOGRID.TBL
cd $WPSDIR
mpirun -np 32 ./geogrid.exe

cp -f ungrib/Variable_Tables/Vtable.ERA-interim.pl ./Vtable
./link_grib.csh /home/workhorse/WRFCHEM_Intel/ERA5/Pressure/
./ungrib.exe

cp -f $CONFIGDIR/surface.namelist.wps $WPSDIR/namelist.wps
cp -f ungrib/Variable_Tables/Vtable.ECMWF ./Vtable
./link_grib.csh /home/workhorse/WRFCHEM_Intel/ERA5/Surface/
./ungrib.exe

mpirun -np 32 ./metgrid.exe

# setting namelist.input

Then you have to modify the namelist.wps twice or have two different namelist files to call.

so first you do ERA5 for the pressure (example change to your system)

Code:
&ungrib
 out_format = 'WPS',
 prefix = 'FILE',
/

&metgrid
 fg_name = 'FILE',
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/

Then do ERA5 for the surface (example change to your system)
Code:
&ungrib
 out_format = 'WPS',
 prefix = 'SFILE',
/

&metgrid
 fg_name = 'SFILE','FILE'
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/

so ERA5 data is split into two seperate files that need to be downloaded and then called seperately in wps.

Since I do not have access to your data source I can't write the specific way to do it but I can show you my WPS commands that I use when I do ERA5.

Bash:
d $WPSDIR
cd $WPSDIR/geogrid
ulimit -s unlimited
cd $WPSDIR

./ungrib.exe

./ungrib.exe

# setting namelist.input

Then you have to modify the namelist.wps twice or have two different namelist files to call.

Code:
&ungrib
 out_format = 'WPS',
 prefix = 'FILE',
/

&metgrid
 fg_name = 'FILE',
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/

Code:
&ungrib
 out_format = 'WPS',
 prefix = 'SFILE',
/

&metgrid
 fg_name = 'SFILE','FILE'
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/
I am not sure to have my era5 data in both pressure and surface levels. Please, see attached sample of my data

Attachments

• data.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
Hi,
This is where I get my data for ERA5 @Amadou

The first two reanalysis datasets would need to be downloaded using the method I explained:
Hi,

If I understood you I must first of all, download the data in the directory /home/workhorse/WRFCHEM_Intel/ERA5/Surface/ and /home/workhorse/WRFCHEM_Intel/ERA5/Pressure/

Then link to these directories in the namelist.wps
This is where I get my data for ERA5 @Amadou

The first two reanalysis datasets would need to be downloaded using the method I explained:

Hi,

Hi,

If I understood you I must first of all, download the data in the directory /home/workhorse/WRFCHEM_Intel/ERA5/Surface/ and /home/workhorse/WRFCHEM_Intel/ERA5/Pressure/

Then link to these directories in the namelist.wps

@Amadou

Little hard to explain without knowing your system set up and folder names.

Message me directly and I can see if I have time to do a web call and explain it

Bash:
d $WPSDIR
cd $WPSDIR/geogrid
ulimit -s unlimited
cd $WPSDIR

./ungrib.exe

./ungrib.exe

# setting namelist.input

Code:
&ungrib
 out_format = 'WPS',
 prefix = 'FILE',
/

&metgrid
 fg_name = 'FILE',
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/

Code:
&ungrib
 out_format = 'WPS',
 prefix = 'SFILE',
/

&metgrid
 fg_name = 'SFILE','FILE'
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/

[/QUOTE]
While Downloading ERA5 datasets using the subset from NCAR RDA Datasets it is in NETcdF format, How ungrib.exe will able to run it?
ungrib.exe is only for GRIB1 and GRIB2 datasets??

Please see the attached file that describes how to download ERA5. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• ERA5_download_instruction.pdf
    539.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello,

After successful running of namelist.wps for both ERA5 pressure and Surface respectively, I am getting the following error for metgrid.
Processing 2021-01-03_13
SFILE
FILE
ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field

It has created met files until 2021-01-03_13 before stopping.

Please, find attached metgrid.log, namelist.wps for both ERA5 pressure and surface, and the job scripts to run them

Attachments

• metgrid.log
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • files.zip
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
There is no error message in your log file except the one "Error in ext_pkg_write_field". Have you checked whether you have enough space to store more met_em data?

Can you compare your FIle and SFILE at 2021-01-03_13 with that at 2021-01-03_12, and let me know whether there are any differences between them?

Last edited:
There is no error message in your log file except the one "Error in ext_pkg_write_field". Have you checked whether you have enough space to store more met_em data?

Can you compile your FIle and SFILE at 2021-01-03_13 with that at 2021-01-03_13, and let me know whether there are any differences between them?
Hello
When I compiled FIle and SFILE at 2021-01-03_13 and read the outputs, the only difference I can see:
For SFILE:2021-01-03_13, xlvl = 200100, while for FILE:2021-01-03_13, xlvl = 100000. Please see attached

Attachments

• ungrib.zip
    884 bytes · Views: 1

Can you compile your FIle and SFILE at 2021-01-03_13 with that at 2021-01-03_13, and let me know whether there are any differences between them?
When I run ungrib for both Surface and Pressure levels, it creates FILES and SFILES from 2021-01-01 to 2021-01-31. For surface level (SFILE...) it is able to create met files when running metgrid. But for pressure level, metgrid stopped at 2021-01-03_13 with ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field.

I am still suspicious this is a data issue. Probably some data are missing at the time of 2021-01-03_13. Now that surface data works fine, let's focus on upper level data. Please look at data (TT, UU, VV, QC, QI, QR etc.) in your FILE: 2021-01-03_13 and let me know whether they have the same number of vertical levels.

I am still suspicious this is a data issue. Probably some data are missing at the time of 2021-01-03_13. Now that surface data works fine, let's focus on upper level data. Please look at data (TT, UU, VV, QC, QI, QR etc.) in your FILE: 2021-01-03_13 and let me know whether they have the same number of vertical levels.
Hello,
Yes, the problem was coming from data. I re-downloaded data for 2021-01-03_13, and it works now