Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Running WRF for a very fine resolution

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

HP1801

I am trying to run WRF-LES at a resolution of 10 m but it takes very long to run, and parallel processing does not seem to speed it up (37 minutes of simulator time take 2 weeks). I am trying to simulate a tracer plume and how it would evolve over time as the source keeps putting out more tracer but haven't found anyways to speed up this simulation. Should I be using another idealized case instead of LES to get a plume simulation at a 10 m or higher resolution? Is it even a good idea to run WRF at such a high resolution?

The computing time is highly dependent on resolution. At 10m grid interval, WRF does run very slowly no matter what ideal case you use.