Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Dear sir/madam,
I ran a WRF model of version 4.4. I have found an error while running the ./wrf.exe as "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". I have used the ERA5 data for my location as initial and boundary conditions. Herewith I have attached the namelist.input, rsl.error.0000 and rsl.out.0000. I kindly request you to help me to rectify this error.
Thank you
Naveen T K

Attachments

• namelist.input
    2.9 KB · Views: 4
  • rsl.error.0000
    4.2 KB · Views: 2
  • rsl.out.0000
    3.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
Can you let me know the grid-distance (resolution) of the ERA input data you're using? Thanks!

These are the details of ERA5 Reanalysis (0.25 Degree Latitude-Longitude Grid).
Request Detail:
- Start date: 2021-07-01 00:00
- End date: 2022-07-07 23:00
- Parameter(s):

- Product(s):
Analysis
- Spatial subsetting (bounding box):
Latitudes (top/bottom): 30 / 27
Longitudes (left/right): 75 / 79

Thanks for sending that information. I have a few thoughts.

1. When the simulation stops immediately, it often indicates an issue with the input. Can you check your met_em* files and make sure everything looks okay. Look at different variables at different levels, and make sure values seem reasonable and aren't missing.
2. Make sure you are including all the mandatory input variables in your dataset, and make sure you're following this procedure when running WPS, since you're using ERA5 data.
3. It's possible that you're trying to use too high of a resolution, given the resolution of the input data (0.25 degree). The difference in that resolution and the resolution of your first domain (3 km) is more than a 9:1 ratio. It may be necessary for you to use an outer, more-coarse resolution as a parent to that 3km domain. If the two suggestions above don't help, then give this a try and just do a quick test to see if that makes any difference.