Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Segmentation fault (signal 11)

Yongling

When I run 3domain WRF, the first data can generate, but the program crash later, the issue as follows:
YOUR APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Segmentation fault (signal 11)
This typically refers to a problem with your application.
Please see the FAQ page for debugging suggestions

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4 KB · Views: 3
  • namelist.wps
    1 KB · Views: 1
  • rsl.error.0000
    173.6 KB · Views: 2
  • rsl.out.0000
    172.7 KB · Views: 0
Your namelist.input i fine except that time_step = 6 is too small for delx =9km. Please change it to 45.
This is a big case and I am suspicious that memory could be an issue.
Can you run this case over a single domain, i.e., max_dom =1? This should be done quickly and tell us some information whether the input data is correct.
If it works, you may move on to run it in two-way nested model, i.e., max_dom =2, and eventually run over 3 domains.

Your namelist.input i fine except that time_step = 6 is too small for delx =9km. Please change it to 45.
This is a big case and I am suspicious that memory could be an issue.
Can you run this case over a single domain, i.e., max_dom =1? This should be done quickly and tell us some information whether the input data is correct.
If it works, you may move on to run it in two-way nested model, i.e., max_dom =2, and eventually run over 3 domains.
I run 1 or 2 domain was successfully, it is verify that input GFS data is correct.
now I run 3domain,firstly I set time step =27,but it generated first data and failed, I think the inner domain is 1km,so I changed the time step=6,but it failed, now I changed the processor 8 to 64(mpirun -np 64 ./wrf.exe),it so slowly, the model still running, I cannot see the second data, what should I do ,still waiting for 5days ,maybe I waiting for a long time it also crash due to Segmentation Fault

These test results indicate that this might be a memory issue, i.e., you don't have sufficient memory to run this case.

By increasing the number of processors, you can get more memory and hope this can solve the problem. If not, I would suggest you talk to your computer manager and ask how to get larger memory to run this case.