Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Segmentation fault (signal 11)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

athulcp

I tried to run my model for 3 and half days. My system configuration is 40 processors with 16GB RAM. and getting the following error.
I tried to rectify it with ulimit -s unlimited and reducing timestep to 90 and 60 then also am getting the same error after few minutes.
I am attaching my namelist.input with this. Please help me to rectify this error.

starting wrf task 0 of 30
starting wrf task 1 of 30
starting wrf task 2 of 30
starting wrf task 4 of 30
starting wrf task 5 of 30
starting wrf task 7 of 30
starting wrf task 8 of 30
starting wrf task 9 of 30
starting wrf task 10 of 30
starting wrf task 11 of 30
starting wrf task 13 of 30
starting wrf task 14 of 30
starting wrf task 15 of 30
starting wrf task 16 of 30
starting wrf task 17 of 30
starting wrf task 18 of 30
starting wrf task 19 of 30
starting wrf task 20 of 30
starting wrf task 21 of 30
starting wrf task 22 of 30
starting wrf task 23 of 30
starting wrf task 24 of 30
starting wrf task 25 of 30
starting wrf task 26 of 30
starting wrf task 27 of 30
starting wrf task 28 of 30
starting wrf task 29 of 30
starting wrf task 3 of 30
starting wrf task 12 of 30
starting wrf task 6 of 30

===================================================================================
= BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
= EXIT CODE: 139
= CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
= YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES
===================================================================================
YOUR APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Segmentation fault (signal 11)
This typically refers to a problem with your application.
Please see the FAQ page for debugging suggestions

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4 KB · Views: 62
Hi,
The problem could be related to the fact that your domain 01 is too small. We suggest that your domains always be at least 100x100, otherwise the result can be unreasonable, as the domain is not large enough for systems to propagate through and to create results different from the boundary/initial conditions. Another problem could be with the number of processors you are using for this small domain. You can read FAQ that gives suggestions for the number of recommended processors in regard to domain size:
http://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5082

I'd recommend increasing the size of your domain, and then 30 processors shouldn't be too many. If the run is still failing for the same reason, please try only 1 domain to see if it still fails, and if not, then try 2 - so that you can narrow the problem down to the domain that is causing the problem. If you do experience a failure again, please attach your new namelist.input file, along with all of the rsl.* files (you can package those into one *.tar file).

Thanks,
Kelly

Thanks for your reply I have done the simulation as per you said. Run the model using 30 processors and for 2 domain it is running and completed, noticed that the 3rd domain is creating problem. I am attaching the new namelist.wps, namelist.input and the rsl.error.00* as tar file with this.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4 KB · Views: 53
  • namelist.wps
    827 bytes · Views: 50
  • rslerror.tar
    3.9 KB · Views: 54
Hi,
Thanks for trying those tests, and for sending the rsl files. If you search in the rsl files for "cfl" you'll see several CFL errors, which indicates that the model is becoming unstable (this is typically due to steep/complex terrain, or sometimes strong convection). Take a look at the last part of this FAQ question for advice on correcting this:
http://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=133

Kelly

Thanks for your reply.
Whatever in that FAQ is already tested by me. Since Now I am running model to simulate a Cloudburst event over Himalayan Region about terrain height up to 6000m. I can't smooth my topography. Is there any other solution for this issue.

Hi,
Did you attempt to reduce your time_step? That is the best thing you can do. If you haven't already, you should reduce it to 4xDX or maybe even 3xDX.