Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Simulation with UCM easily crushed in WRF 4.4.1

deatania

Dear WRF experts,

I am using WRF version 4.4.1. with modified land use and 5 urban categories. The urban categories are based on my own classification and the urban parameters are also based on my own calculation, but I use the LCZ function (use_wudapt_lcz = 1) to represent the 5 urban categories (LU INDEX 31, 32, 33, 34, 35) by also changing the urban parameters in the URBPARM_LCZ.TBL. My simulation is for Jakarta, Indonesia, in the month of September and April. The simulation for September crushed a few times in the middle but eventually can last until around the 20th day after a few restart runs by adjusting the time step. While the simulation for April can only last less than 2 days. It is a more humid month than September, so I guess the simulation is easier to get unstable. I tried everything as suggested here What is the most common reason for a segmentation fault?, but nothing works especially for my April simulation. The only time it works is when I set the sf_urban_physics = 0. So, most likely the problem is in the urban module.
My question is, is this because I am using the LCZ function without an LCZ map and its urban parameters? If that is the problem, is there a way to still consider 5 urban categories without utilizing the LCZ function? Or is there a certain part in the urban module that needs to be modified here?

I'll appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
- Dea

Dear WRF experts,

I am using WRF version 4.4.1. with modified land use and 5 urban categories. The urban categories are based on my own classification and the urban parameters are also based on my own calculation, but I use the LCZ function (use_wudapt_lcz = 1) to represent the 5 urban categories (LU INDEX 31, 32, 33, 34, 35) by also changing the urban parameters in the URBPARM_LCZ.TBL. My simulation is for Jakarta, Indonesia, in the month of September and April. The simulation for September crushed a few times in the middle but eventually can last until around the 20th day after a few restart runs by adjusting the time step. While the simulation for April can only last less than 2 days. It is a more humid month than September, so I guess the simulation is easier to get unstable. I tried everything as suggested here What is the most common reason for a segmentation fault?, but nothing works especially for my April simulation. The only time it works is when I set the sf_urban_physics = 0. So, most likely the problem is in the urban module.
My question is, is this because I am using the LCZ function without an LCZ map and its urban parameters? If that is the problem, is there a way to still consider 5 urban categories without utilizing the LCZ function? Or is there a certain part in the urban module that needs to be modified here?

I'll appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
- Dea
WRF-V4.4.2 has fixed:
  • Update urban local climate zone (LCZ) numbers in parameter tables to avoid overlap with existing NLCD land types. This update affects VEGPARM.TBL, LANDUSE.TBL, and MPTABLE.TBL. The LCZ numbers in WRF-urban are changed from 31-41 to 51-61. Details

Thank you all for the response.
I have tried using WRF 4.4.2, but the problem still remains.
I am attaching all the files that might be necessary for your check.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 0415_Jakarta.zip
    692.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi, I was struggling with the same kind of problems.
I'm curious whether you've got any solutions that you can share.