Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Special WRF Output Variables

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

mitchellkcm

Hi,

I found this section in Chapter 5 of the User's guide (see end of post). How can I get potential temperature in K to be output. It says they are defined in the Registry file. Which Registry file? Are they automatically output or do I need to change something? I'm using my WRF output as an input to FLEXPART-WRF. My flexpart runs come up with an error complaining that temperature is not in Kelvin. I am wondering if I need to adjust something.

Thank you
Kim

Special WRF Output Variables

The WRF model outputs the state variables defined in the Registry file, and these state variables are used in the model's prognostic equations. Some of these variables are perturbation fields; therefore the following definitions for reconstructing meteorological variables are necessary:

total geopotential

PH + PHB

total geopotential height in m

( PH + PHB ) / 9.81

total potential temperature in_ K

T + 300

total pressure in mb

( P + PB ) * 0.01

wind compoments, grid relative

U, V

surface pressure in Pa

psfc

surface winds, grid relative

U10, V10 (valid at mass points)

surface temperature and mixing ratio

T2, Q2

wrfout files include the variable T, which is perturbation potential temperature. The total potential temperature is T+300.

T is a state variable defined in Registry/Registry.EM_COMMON