Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

TKE budget in MYNN

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

evignon

Dear WRF support
I am working with 3D simulations of near-surface wind jets using WRF 3.9. I am using the MYNN PBL scheme and I would like to output the different contributions of the TKE budget. I activate the flag "bl_mynn_tkebudget" and i have thus the following variables in my outputs:
DTKE
QWT
QDISS
QSHEAR
QBUOY

In particular I am interested in the advection term in the TKE equation. That is why I activate "bl_mynn_tkeadvect" (see my physics namelist herebelow).

As far as I understand in the code, the "DTKE" includes the temporal tendency and the advection term (lagrangian derivative*timestep). Is there a relatively easy way to separately include in the output files the temporal and the spatial (advective) tendencies?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Best regards,

Étienne

&physics
mp_physics = 10, 10, 10, 10,
ra_lw_physics = 24, 24, 24, 24,
ra_sw_physics = 24, 24, 24, 24,
radt = 15, 10, 5, 5,
sf_sfclay_physics = 5, 5, 5, 5,
sf_surface_physics = 2, 2, 2, 2,
bl_pbl_physics = 5, 5, 5, 5,
bl_mynn_tkebudget = 1, 1, 1, 1,
bl_mynn_tkeadvect =.true., .true. , .true. , .true.,
bldt = 0, 0, 0, 0,
cu_physics = 1, 1, 0, 0,
cudt = 5, 5, 0, 0,
isfflx = 1,
ifsnow = 1,
icloud = 1,
surface_input_source = 3,
num_soil_layers = 4,
num_land_cat = 21,
sf_urban_physics = 0, 0, 0, 0,

DTKE is the temporal tendency of TKE, which includes the four items in TKE budget equation (QWT,QDISS, QSHEAR, QBUOY).
There is one variable in Registry, QKE_ADV, which is defined as part of the scalar 4d array to advect it. However, there is no state variable to represent the advection term of TKE.