Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

urban configuration in WRF

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

JulioC

Hi All,

I have a question regarding urban configuration in WRF . When using sf_urban_physics = 2 and there is no URB_PARAM and FRC_URB2D information. What WRF does with the 3 Urban categories that appear in the URBPARM.TBL file?

How I can create NUDAPT44_1km and urbfrac_nlcd2011 equivalent files for my domain?

Cheers

Julio

Julio,
URB_PARAM is only available in REAL, and some variables related to urban physics are derived from URB_PARAM in REAL program. FRC_URB2D is introduced in WRFV4.0 no matter whether urban physics is turned on or off. Can you update WRF to newer version like WRFV4.0.3?
I believe that FRC_URB2D is derived from the NLCD30s data.

Thanks Ming,

I'm using WRFV4.0.3 and real.
I'm modelling a Domain in South America and I'm succesfully using the urban physics. What I don't understand well is how WRF (or WPS) distributes the urban land use into the three categories used by URBPRAM.TBL (Commercial, high density residential and low density residential)

Many thanks

Julio

Julio,

You need to have the high-resolution landuse dataset that includes the three urban categories, and incorporate this information into LANDUSEF.
Please see the document here

http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/201901/duda_wps_advanced.pdf

pages 17-21 give detailed description how to do it.

Thanks Ming,

Another question, What if you don't have the three urban categories specified, in that case WRF uses an average of the 3 categories parametrization from URBPARM.TBL or uses only 1 of the 3 categories?

Cheers

Julio

In that case WRF will set the urban type as the high-intensity and use the corresponding values in URBPARM.TBL.