Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Using dust only opt, no Dust_x variables in wrfinput_d0x files

Nero

I am a very beginner of the WRF modle. I am using WRF-Chem (WRF version 4.4.1) with chem-opt=401 and dust-opt=1 to conduct the exercise 1(dust only simulation) on the WRF-CHEM homepage. But after I run the real.exe program, there is no Dust_x variables in the wrfinput files. Is there any way to solve this problem? I've tried WRF vesion 4.3.3, but I still failed.
Thanks very much for your reading.

Hi Nero,
I do not know which exercise you refer to. But when I do dust simulations I normally force the simulation without dust and let the WRF model emit dust itself. So everything is fine when Dust_x is zero in wrfinput after running real.exe. But EROD, CLAYFRAC should not be zero in wrfinput. If you now run wrf.exe with your wrfinput, you should see Dust_x in wrfout.
Cheers,
Robert

Hi Nero,
I do not know which exercise you refer to. But when I do dust simulations I normally force the simulation without dust and let the WRF model emit dust itself. So everything is fine when Dust_x is zero in wrfinput after running real.exe. But EROD, CLAYFRAC should not be zero in wrfinput. If you now run wrf.exe with your wrfinput, you should see Dust_x in wrfout.
Cheers,
Robert
Hi Robert,
Thanks very much for your reply. I am runing the tutotial exercise on WRFCHEM page (https://ruc.noaa.gov/wrf/wrf-chem/tutorialexercises/tutorialexercises001.html). I followed this exercise but without extra emission data. And the problem is there is no Dust_x variables in neither the wrfinput file nor the wrfoutput file after I run the real.exe and wrf.exe. I have tried re-installing the WRF model but still failed. I am wondering whether I make some mistakes in the running flow of WRF-Dust since the guide on the WRF-CHEM homepage is based on Vesion 3.9?

There are my steps and namelist files. After running the geogrid.exe, I examined the geo_em.d01 file, ehich contains the EROD and CLAYFRAC values. And then I just copy the namelist settings of the WRF-CHEM exercise-1 (https://ruc.noaa.gov/wrf/wrf-chem/tutorialexercises/tutorialexercises001.html), and enter the test/em_real directory, and modify the namelist.input and namelist.input.chem, and in the last run the real.exe and wrf.exe. And the peoblems occurs.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    3.6 KB · Views: 27
  • namelist of chem.input
    7.1 KB · Views: 28
real.exe or wrf.exe are just looking at the namelist called "namelist.input" so you have to rerun real.exe and wrf.exe with your "namelist.input.chem" renamed to namelist.input
The listed namelists "namelist.input.X" are just examples how a namelist could look like and are not used automatically.

I just tried the exercise with WRF 4.4.1 and it worked after changing num_land_cat = 24 to 21 and e_vert=31 to 41.

real.exe or wrf.exe are just looking at the namelist called "namelist.input" so you have to rerun real.exe and wrf.exe with your "namelist.input.chem" renamed to namelist.input
The listed namelists "namelist.input.X" are just examples how a namelist could look like and are not used automatically.

I just tried the exercise with WRF 4.4.1 and it worked after changing num_land_cat = 24 to 21 and e_vert=31 to 41.
Thanks very much. I thought I need to set the settings separately. Thanks again for your time on this beginner question.

Thanks very much. I thought I need to set the settings separately. Thanks again for your time on this beginner question.

Were you able to run the case and see Dust_x variables? I am experiencing the same issue. Thank you.

Were you able to run the case and see Dust_x variables? I am experiencing the same issue. Thank you.
I met the same problem. I resolved this problem by setting correct environment variable (notice "export WRF_CHEM=1") and recompiling the WRF.